Can you convert a .32 Rem to a .35 Rem by switching parts?

Posts about the Model 8
cantgrowup

Can you convert a .32 Rem to a .35 Rem by switching parts?

Post by cantgrowup »

Can you simply convert a Model 8 from .32 Rem to .35 Rem by merely switching out the barrel assembly, bolt assembly, and magazine? A friend has a pistol grip .32 Rem and a straight stock .35 Rem. He wants a pistol grip .35 Rem. I told him it should be a simple swap out of parts on the receivers. Is this correct?
kenhwind

Re: Can you convert a .32 Rem to a .35 Rem by switching parts?

Post by kenhwind »

I suppose so by changing the bolt head, and barrel assembly. Not sure about the magazine, but I imagine the side springs are different.
KEN
81police

Post by 81police »

this is a possibility. The downside would be having a rifle w/out matching serial numbers (and decreased value). I'd imagine most people would just buy a new rifle in the desired caliber.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

I probably would not change anything, but if I was seriously inclined to do so, I would disassemble the barrel assemblies and swap the barrels with the respective parts and maintain the correct barrel jacket assembly with each receiver. The only reason I can think of doing this would be if one were inclined to sell one of these rifles, but wanted the caliber and or features of the other.

Due to limited availability of bullets I have little interest in the .32 Remington, but I would not bastardize one of these rifles without good cause.

I am not really into parts swapping even with my Colt's pistols. A Model 81 in 35 Remington is quite common and finding one shouldn't break the budget and they have a pistol grip.

BTW there is a barrel assembly listed on eBay, no its not mine, but I think its a .35. Kind of pricey but we won't see these assemblies listed for 100 bucks anymore like I did, and ended up with two more rifles after pursuing a combo caliber setup.
KEN
olskool

Post by olskool »

I have a 30rem. barrel assembly I put on my 32 receiver. that works great,,,,,,,,,
I have never harvested an animal, but I have killed quite a few.............
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

I ended up buying a model 8 in 25 because I had bought a 32 Remington barrel assembly on eBay. Switching barrel assemblies at the range was somewhat of a hassle imo. An eBay member was looking for a 30 Remington barrel so I sold him my 32 assembly and dies.

The .25, .30, & .32 Remington share the same case, whereas the .35 and .300 Savage are different and different from each other. A .35 might work in a 300 but not in a 32 or 30.
KEN