krieger?

Posts about the Model 8
canuck

krieger?

Post by canuck »

Just rec'd this nice Mdl 8, dated 1928 I believe, with a detachable magazine - doesn't seem to match the description of a "Krieger" conversion but nicely done, and works very slick in any event.
Your thoughts?

S and S HUNTCLUB

Re: krieger?

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your model 8. In regards to your question asking our thoughts, as the whether you have a Krieger conversion?

1.) It certainly appears that you have the correct Krieger magazine release machined into the trigger guard and held in place by the correct style Krieger pin.

2.) The magazine appears correct with the side springs riveted to the magazine and the top back of the magazine is correctly filed and modified to be easily inserted and removed from the rifle.

3.) The magazine side spring cut outs have been machined on your trigger plate which is correct as well.

4.) The magazine indicator was obviously drilled and tapped to keep it from falling out when the magazine is removed, because you have the correct Krieger magazine indicator screw, found on the left side of the receiver, which holds it in place.

5.) It is hard to tell from the pictures, but it appears that you do not have the safety lever stop screw for the Krieger conversion, which is common on some early Krieger Coversions. The original safety lever stop screw was removed from your magazine, so that the magazine can be inserted/removed from the rifle. The Krieger safety lever stop screw keeps the safety lever from coming off of the safety detent ball and scratching the right side of the receiver. You'll notice that the POE rifles do not have a safety lever stop screw either and that is why many POE rifles have the scratch caused from the safety lever coming off of the safety detent ball.

6.) The other indicator would be the barrel lock, which I can not see from your pictures. This can be checked easily by removing the magazine and looking inside the receiver. The barrel lock will be machined out a bit to accommodate the fitting of a snap ring to the end of the barrel lock screw. The original barrel lock screw will be machined with a small groove, that accommodates the snap ring and keeps the barrel lock from falling out of the rifle. If this has been done, you have a correct Krieger Conversion.

Everything that I see here, points to a correct Krieger conversion and the other thing that I would add, is that the model 8 Krieger Conversions are a bit more rare than the model 81 Krieger Conversions.

You have a very nice looking Remington Model 8 Krieger Conversion and a rifle that I am sure you will enjoy while hunting afield. Congratulations canunk!

Enjoy Life, Bob @ S and S HUNTCLUB
canuck

Post by canuck »

Thanks Bob, appreciate your reply, I just checked and found the snap ring you mentioned.
Here is a pic of the right side of the rifle - complete with the safety scratch!
We sure don't see many of these Krieger conversions here in Canada, glad I snagged this one.

Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Nice one, Congrats... :)
Phyrbird
SOKY
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Dang.....
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir,
That's a nice find you made. It looks to be a true krieger conversion to me also. The guys at s@s huntclub are the true experts,so I'm sure they are correct. It seems to be in great condition. I have a round knob 35 Cal. M-8 Krieger that I am lucky enuf to own. It needs some work to be done on the trigger plate,which I just keep putting off. Maybe some day. Congrats again on your nice rifle.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
canuck

Post by canuck »

Thanks for the info and words gentleman
I questioned if it was a Krieger or not because I'd read that if there was only one side spring, it was not a true Krieger conversion.
Frankly, when the gun was listed for sale, I was willing to take a chance on it as Model 8s are uncommon enough here as is - let alone with a mag conversion - and it was obvious that this rifle was in pretty good condition.
Also, the purchase price included 80 rnds of handloads and 20 once fired brass as well as reloading dies, which made the price of the gun itself very reasonable.
Good shooting guys!
81police

Post by 81police »

that's one fine Krieger!! :o
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator