Proud Owner of a Remington Model 8 in .35 cal.

Posts about the Model 8
Hester

Proud Owner of a Remington Model 8 in .35 cal.

Post by Hester »

Just got my Remington model 8 in today that I bought off Gun Broker last week, I'm very pleased with how good shape its in to be so old. The Model 8 seems to be a very nice firearm and I love the .35 cal. I'm very pleased with the firearm other than for right now its a single shot when you load 2 or more rounds in it. The magazine appears to not let the rounds come up far enough to be stripped away when you load 2 or more rounds in it. The gun is very clean inside and out and doesn't look like its been abused at all. The man I bought it from was selling it from an estate and the owner told him he thought the magazine spring was weak. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can fix the magazine please let me know.

Thanks,
Eric
Remington model 8 #2.jpg
Remington model 8 #2.jpg (47.96 KiB) Viewed 12056 times
Attachments
Remington model 8 #4.jpg
Remington model 8 #4.jpg (22.94 KiB) Viewed 12056 times
jack1653

Re: Proud Owner of a Remington Model 8 in .35 cal.

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Hester,

Congratulations on your model 8. It sounds like your magazine spring may be broken. Not a big deal to determine if that is the problem. Pull the bolt back into the open position. This will expose the follower which you can remove by pushing it down and turning it until it comes over the side spring of the magazine. Once it is removed you should be able to see the magazine spring which looks like a "W". It should be in one piece. If you remove it make certain that you remember the orientation of the spring when you put it back in place. If the spring is not broken, then reassemble and put the follower back in place. Just remember to put the follower in on an angle with the flat end gong in first.

I have not had a weak magazine spring but have had several that have been broken or inserted backward. This will cause feeding problems. There should be some additional threads on the forum about disassembly which may give you additional information. Good Luck. If you need further assistance, just ask.

Regards,

jack1653
Hester

Post by Hester »

Thanks I'll try that and see if I can get the follower out
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Hester wrote:Thanks I'll try that and see if I can get the follower out
Use a catch rag, the follower can go BOING. :oops: They are good at hiding too.... :lol:
Phyrbird
SOKY
81police

Post by 81police »

there is a very tricky way to remove follower and mag spring through the top of the action w/out disassembling the rifle. I did this one time, and accidentally tripped the bolt release :shock: Snapped my mag spring in half. :oops: :oops: Just a heads up! I prefer the disassemble route myself now.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Good point 81police. :o I should have mentioned this. :oops:

Regards,

jack1653
Hester

Post by Hester »

Does anyone have a picture of what a good magazine spring looks like, I've disassembled my gun and the magazine and nothing is broken in the magazine.
Here is what mine looks like

Thanks,
Eric
Magazine spring.jpg
Magazine spring.jpg (39.23 KiB) Viewed 11998 times
Hester

Post by Hester »

I took the magazine apart and switched the magazine spring around and put everything back together and loaded 4 rounds and and everything cycled great. I'm going to shoot it tomorrow and see how it functions. Thanks for the information and help I hope it works flawless tomorrow, with just the simple switching of a magazine spring.

Thanks,
Eric
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Hester,

As I had suspected. Your spring has been broken and someone attempted a "fix". :shock: if the rifle cycles with the fix, you are fortunate. The spring should be of the same material and not have a piece added as yours does. Most broken springs occur in the area of your fix. Try it and if it works leave it alone until you can locate a replacement.

Regards,

jack1653
Hester

Post by Hester »

jack1653 wrote:Hey Hester,

As I had suspected. Your spring has been broken and someone attempted a "fix". :shock: if the rifle cycles with the fix, you are fortunate. The spring should be of the same material and not have a piece added as yours does. Most broken springs occur in the area of your fix. Try it and if it works leave it alone until you can locate a replacement.

Regards,

jack1653
Thanks Jack1653, the spring was also put in the magazine backwards when I reversed the way the spring was put in the rounds sat in there like they should be. I shot it 8 times today and it shot flawless. I have a used magazine coming with everything so i'll have a spare if anything goes wrong.

Is there any place just to buy a spring?

Thanks,
Eric
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Eric,

You can find these springs listed occasionally on Gun Broker. There are also some members who list them from time to time. You can try contacting members; S and S Huntclub or Robopump for spare parts. Both of these guys are honest and trustworthy. They won't sell junk!

Regards,

jack1653
Hester

Post by Hester »

jack1653 wrote:Hey Eric,

You can find these springs listed occasionally on Gun Broker. There are also some members who list them from time to time. You can try contacting members; S and S Huntclub or Robopump for spare parts. Both of these guys are honest and trustworthy. They won't sell junk!

Regards,

jack1653
Thanks
81police

Post by 81police »

factory mag springs...
Attachments
DSC00624.JPG
DSC00624.JPG (146.75 KiB) Viewed 11955 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
olskool

Post by olskool »

that's a nice model 8!
I have never harvested an animal, but I have killed quite a few.............