New-to-me: Model 8 from 1911

Posts about the Model 8
In The Ten Ring

New-to-me: Model 8 from 1911

Post by In The Ten Ring »

This is my first Armslist.com purchase. I have only once before bought a weapon via a website that wasn't through gunbroker. The seller really set me at ease and I went for it.

Model 8 from 1911. The seller had removed the rear peep so I put an ebay Lyman on it just to get the feel (I think that seller is a member here and may be mentioned in Henwood's book). Apparently there is a gasket we're supposed to put under the peep? If so, I can get on that later.

The stock is a wee bit short for me but it seems factory and guys were shorter back then anyway. The stock has a compass (still works!) and that seems to have been in style back in the day too. No scope mount holes.

The action works and the firing pin is intact. The front sight has a rivet brazed on there and the front sight itself has some very fine print, I can't make it out but it's not a Lyman or Marble. More on it later.

.35 Remington caliber. The seller said he found this at a gun show and had pics of a 50 yard group he had shot not long ago.

He shipped it very well.....broken down and superbly packed in a small box. I can see how useful the take-down feature is and I plan on getting a proper leather case made up for these rifles at some point.

In The Ten Ring

Re: New-to-me: Model 8 from 1911

Oh oo! Houston, we have a problem.

It feeds from the magazine but fails to extract. Looking at the profile of it compared to my 1906 Model 8, the extractor appears to have the edges missing. The extractor does have a "35" stamped on it.

Broken extractor?
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Looks like it.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
In The Ten Ring

OK, who has an extractor they'd sell?
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
In The Ten Ring

Thanks man but I beat you to it. :mrgreen:

Looks like I'll be taking my bolt apart......good experience! :lol: