What is it like to be afield with a Model 8?

Posts about the Model 8
In The Ten Ring

What is it like to be afield with a Model 8?

Post by In The Ten Ring »

What is it like to hunt with one? Do other hunters you meet ask what it is?

If one of us owns a really old, say pre-1910 model, how does it feel to know you are hunting with something that was built during the age of steam?
81police

Re: What is it like to be afield with a Model 8?

Post by 81police »

I'd imagine you'd receive a lot of "what is that" from the younger crowd
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
mr mike

Post by mr mike »

"In the ring", Saw your post and thought I'd pass along that after almost three years I finally got my
1908 model 8A ( standard) back from the gun shop. Its a long story, I'll pass on here, but I had the gun
restored to basic stock after mounting hole's ( 14 of 'em ) drilled in the reciever to mount a couple different scope's over time were repaired. Then had the rifle returned to standard with new Schnabel fore end and straight butt stock as original with, slow rust blue finish as original.
Over all the gun looks pretty nice, so when it arrived on the FedEx truck a few days back, as you might imagine I was pretty excited. So after unwrapping the rifle and looking it over, I ran across the street to show it to my neighbor/ buddy. Although not a model 8 owner he's familiar with the rifle from looking at mine earlier. His son was visiting, not a gun owner at all, he thought it was an, you ready for this...
an ENFIELD! Not sure where that came from. Sitting out on the patio while we chatted, my friends neighbor who had been in his back yard with a friend wandered over. So out of five people there, all retired military I might add, only me and the neighbor I had earlier introduced the model 8 too knew what it was. I might add some of those guy were shooters but they had the newer "plastic" rifles as I call 'em. I can't wait to get out to the range at this point. Gonna be fun before I even start shootin' I think :-)
olskool

Post by olskool »

Image it's a lot of fun! i posted this photo before. i killed this deer chasing a doe. it is a 32 rem. made in 27 i bought it from a woman in cal. that said iy was here daddys gun, they called him bobo and he hunted with it in napa vally, a long time ago.
I have never harvested an animal, but I have killed quite a few.............
81police

Post by 81police »

I'm from the "scoped gun" generation and only had iron sights on 22LR's and pistols. However, I've hunted with Model 81's a little over the years, and very much enjoy taking one out once in a while. There's certainly a nostalgic feeling carrying one around, and you're definitely not short on firepower either!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator