Hornady 200gr FTX Lever Evolution Ammo?

Posts about the Model 8
358MGP

Hornady 200gr FTX Lever Evolution Ammo?

Post by 358MGP »

Is this ammo safe to shoot in a model 8 or 81? Thanks Mike
Hardrada55

Re: Hornady 200gr FTX Lever Evolution Ammo?

Post by Hardrada55 »

Here are a couple of older threads on the subject.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1371

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=234&hilit=Hornaday
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
Fred

Post by Fred »

Burried around down in those links somewhere was a good reference that Hornady makes ammo to SAAMI pressure spec. The pressure spec for .35Rem is around 33, 500cup. The Model 81 is also chambered in 300Savage whose pressure spec is 46,000cup and has a larger case head/body than the .35Rem. A larger case leaves less material to hold all that pressure. Based on that I would say that a lower pressure .35Rem is as safe or safer than a 300savage in the same gun assuming it's in good mechanical condition.

Of course if you run anything hard its lifespan will shorten. Replacement parts look to be expensive and hard to find...
VTRem35

Post by VTRem35 »

The problem with the Leverevolution rounds in the Model 8/81, is they're too fast for the barrel grooves, and so far in my experience, they are very inconsistent. Gotta keep it around 2000 FPS.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Having experience with a few hi-power rifles I must comment.
Many times the performance of a cartridge has more to do with a individual rifle than the shooter or the round. I've a Springfield 03 reworked to 270 that will group under a quarter at 200yds if I do my part. :D I traded off a 742 in 3006 that did good to hit a paper plate :cry: at 100yds, while my Dad's 760 would group under 2" at 200yds. 8-) Many guns are very particular about what they are fed, find the right combination and you will be pleasantly surprised. A lot of the less practiced shooters may think they are bad shots till the accurate rifle shows up. I would be more concerned about the micro-groove barrels on Marlins having trouble with the 35Rem (cast loads in particular) than our barrels. Unless they are Badly worn. Keep trying. :ugeek:
One more note, having experience with JM Browning's 1911 pistol design, I also believe the accuracy of our ladies could be greatly improved by similar techniques. A little tuning might create some some Tack Drivers. :o I'm curious what one of the master pistol builders could do with our assembly of parts.
Phyrbird
SOKY
norm

Post by norm »

VTRem35, I don't understand your statement about Hornady FTX being " too fast for the barrel grooves". It has me all confused. I need further explanation.
VTRem35

Post by VTRem35 »

Hmmm, I have no empirical evidence other than a slow bullet (remington 200 gr rn) shoots really consistent groups out of my Model 8, and the faster bullets (150gr Remingtons and Hornady Leverlution) are very inconsistent. I don't know if it's the barrel grooves or if it's just my particular rifle.
One joke I make in life is "just make sure you don't listen to anything I say" and that may be coming into play here...hahahaha
Roger

Post by Roger »

Fellas,
Some of these m-8/81s seem to like slower burning powders. Win.760,and Leverevolution powders are two I can think of right now.Try these out on your old model 8. Every part of the loading will effect the accuracy of that particular loading too.
Phrybird is right about the Colt 1911 pistols and the similarity to the rem. M-8/81 s. I've found a great amount of accuracy is lost when the barrel nut and barrel jacket bushing become worn. Just like the colt 1911 platform.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Fred

Post by Fred »

Roger wrote:I've found a great amount of accuracy is lost when the barrel nut and barrel jacket bushing become worn. Just like the colt 1911 platform.
Understandably. .002" slop at the end the muzzle is worth about 1/4" at 100 yards. The tighter the assembly the less deviation there will be down range.