A Tale of 3 Stripper Clips

Posts about the Model 8
nabaker

A Tale of 3 Stripper Clips

Post by nabaker »

So I've been lucky enough to find three (3) Autoloading Rifle/Model 8/81 stripper clips within the past 1+1/2 months.
The first was of brass construction, with a copper spring, and fit .25 Remington, .30 Remington, and .32 Remington.
I found it at my favorite LGS in a pile of stripper clips, and bought it for $0.50.
I ended up selling it just recently on GunBroker, and got $55.00 for it.
Picture of the first stripper clip:

The second was of brass construction, with a copper spring, and fit .35 Remington and .300 Savage (but was of older design, so it was just marked for "35 CAL.").
I found it at the same LGS as the first one, only this time the price had gone down to $0.25.
I just listed it on GunBroker for a pretty high reserve, because I don't particularly want to sell it (the reserve is a price I simply couldn't refuse), as I have a first-year Autoloading Rifle in .35 Rem that I'd like to keep and one day fix up.
Picture of the second stripper clip:

The last, but absolutely not least, was of steel construction, with a BRASS spring, and fit .35 Remington and .300 Savage (but was of older design, so it was just marked for "35 CAL.").
I found this one in a pile of stripper clips owned by a regular at a local gun show, and ended up paying $15.00 for it simply because I knew he wouldn't have accepted any lower (I was lucky he didn't really know what it was).
I have also just listed this one on GunBroker, for an even more ridiculous reserve, but I feel it is for good reason.
In reading the Great Model 8 book, I have not come across mention of this type of stripper clip.
It has several unique features I feel that are worth mentioning.
Unlike the steel stripper clips pictured in the book, this one has a construction more similar to the brass type (the back is not flat, and the stamps are of the other font style).
It also has a BRASS spring, which I have found no mention of whatsoever (only copper/steel).
It also has the older-design stamp of "35 CAL.", as opposed to the stamp that indicates both .35 Remington and .300 Savage (though, it fits both, as does the second clip I found).
As I'm sure many of you already know, to me, this means this stripper clip was made before any Model 8/81 was chambered in .300 Savage - entirely odd, for the fact that the book even says that most, if not all, steel stripper clips were made later on (Model 81 timeframe).
Lastly, the "35 CAL." stamp is on the opposite side of the stripper clip from every brass model I have seen or read about.
All these features make me think I've stumbled onto something pretty cool, and if I'm wrong, please correct me.
'm just happy to have found it (and the others) for so cheap.
It feels like prospecting for gold, but when you finally do find one, there is no better feeling.

Picture of the third stripper clip:

EDIT: Also, if someone can direct me how to resize these images so they look a bit smaller when looking at the whole post, it would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (103.69 KiB) Viewed 3150 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (98.5 KiB) Viewed 3150 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (101.68 KiB) Viewed 3150 times
In The Ten Ring

Re: A Tale of 3 Stripper Clips

Post by In The Ten Ring »

I'm a stripper clip kinda guy....used them often in my K98 and M96 so now that I've decided to get a couple of these rifles it's time to get some clips.