Update Mini Range Report Matt`s Grade 4 Mod 8

Posts about the Model 8
Sarge756

Update Mini Range Report Matt`s Grade 4 Mod 8

Post by Sarge756 »

This is an update to Mattitude`s earlier posting on his new rifle. After seeing it in person and shooting it this past weekend all the accolades so far given fall short. Matt had already posted photos in the first report so we knew it was a good shooter. My S-I-L , Reid,is an Army sniper and he was given the honors of finding out just how accurate Matt`s "Sophie" is. After seeing the results of Reid`s three shot group at 50 yards it is clear that we havn`t given these old girls enough credit in the past. As Matt said, 50 yards was chosen in deference to our "old" eyes and open sights. Reid`s young set and with his considerable skill and experience,50 yards was way too easy.
The visit and time with Matt went too fast. We had a great session at the range and a tour of his shop and equipment at his lovely home. One of the rifles we shot was a 700 Remington that Matt built.Scary accurate and a real pleasure to shoot. The SSG-82 was a real pleasure too. Only time I was able to stay close with Reid was with it. The German reticle in the Zeiss scope had him confused as to exactly where to hold it.Another session and he would have been clover leafing them I`m sure.
Thanks again Matt for an enjoyable afternoon.
Joe
Attachments
The Group
The Group
002.JPG (131.87 KiB) Viewed 5795 times
Reid and the SSG-82
Reid and the SSG-82
trip to carolina 029.JPG (290.95 KiB) Viewed 5795 times
Matt, Reid and Sophie
Matt, Reid and Sophie
trip to carolina 013.JPG (75.84 KiB) Viewed 5795 times
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
81police

Re: Update Mini Range Report Matt`s Grade 4 Mod 8

Post by 81police »

what a great post, a great gun, and a superb shooter! Really, thanks for sharing that. Looks like y'all had a BLAST :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
mattitude

Post by mattitude »

I had a great time with Joe and Reid despite it being an unusually busy day at my house which caused me to push back the range time, but it gave us some extra time to sit down and get to know each other. It was interesting to find out that Reid and I both have daughters named Sophie. The weather held out long enough for us all to fire off plenty of rounds through quite a few rifles. Reid is an excellent shot and he rung every bit of accuracy out of my Model 8 and the picture should speak volumes of what the potential are in these fine old girls.

I was thinking that Reid would've done better with the SSG-82, but to his credit that rifle is pretty rare that very few people have actually shot one. Most of the ones that are in collections in the US are nothing more than safe queens and it's rumored that only about 600 have been imported back at the turn of the century. It's a fun rifle and is only limited by the quality of the ammo...and there is a lack of match 5.45x39 rounds. I enjoyed shooting Joe's Model 8 in 30-30 Remington but I found that the steel butt plate knocked me just as hard as my .35 Remington with the recoil pad. Joe's .35 Remington Marlin is a real fire breather but it also was the perfect demonstration to show that in the same caliber, the Model 8/81's mechanism amplifies recoil impulse.

It was a great day spent with new friends while having a blast at the range. Plenty of pictures were taken (of Joe as well...) so maybe Joe will put up some more. I've gained great respect for my 105 year old rifle and she will accompany me on deer and pig hunts this coming fall.
100% disabled veteran
TSgt (ret.) USAF
5 Dec 1990-28 July 2008
AMMO IYAAYAS!
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Okay a few more photos of a fun afternoon including: ol ugly with the Matt built 700 Remington in 308 ( This is more like it ,you just put the little crosshairs where you want the hole to appear and squeeze) , Matt with my Marlin 336 Carbine and Matt showing us what the SSG-82 is capable of.
Hope Matt will post some photos of that 700 and the hogs he took on that hunt in S.C.
Joe
Attachments
Matt and his SSG-82
Matt and his SSG-82
trip to carolina 024.JPG (243.89 KiB) Viewed 5771 times
Matt and the Marlin 336
Matt and the Marlin 336
trip to carolina 043.JPG (71.28 KiB) Viewed 5771 times
ol ugly and Rem 700
ol ugly and Rem 700
trip to carolina 034.JPG (68.07 KiB) Viewed 5771 times
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

:D LIKE!! :D Gotta run to Tea Party Patriots rally against the IRS.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Annabellebd

Post by Annabellebd »

Matt,
Looks like the old girl still shoots!!
And from the photos it looks like the old range is still in good shape. I'm glad to see that.
Take care,
R.B.