Butt plate early 8

Posts about the Model 8
uhjohnson

Butt plate early 8

Post by uhjohnson »

i have an early 1909, model 8 ( i don"t have the serial at this time) and i need to know what the butt plate should look like. the butt stock is just a regular flat/curved shape (if this is how it is described). Did remington have the UMC on the model 8 butts

thanks
[b]Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830[/b]

You don't pay too much, you pay too soon
81police

Re: Butt plate early 8

Post by 81police »

I don't have Henwood's book in front of me, but I seem to remember the UMC / Remington merger didn't happen until 1911. I could be wrong but if that's true then a UMC marked buttplate would not be correct. It sounds like your rifle probably had one of the "Remington Arms Co" semi curved hard rubber buttplates.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

The early rifles I believe had hard rubber plate. Looked "skeletonized" with checkering inside. Centered a circle with Remington Arms Co. in the circle. It may or may not be stamped with the serial #, most of the steel butt plates were # stamped. In your time period the steel plates had a variety of styles. Some smooth with a similar circle stamped, some with horizontal ridges. Remington wanted to SELL rifles, many had various "options" added up until about 1921 when they started charging extra for these niceties.
Phyrbird
SOKY
olskool

Post by olskool »

my 1908 25cal. has a hard plastic semi curved butt plate, it has in a circle in the middle of the plate, remington arms co. it does have checkering.
I have never harvested an animal, but I have killed quite a few.............