Frozen take down lever

Posts about the Model 8
eagles

Frozen take down lever

Post by eagles »

I just got my model 8 and when I took off the fore end to take the gun down , the take down lever will not move . I put as much arm pressure on it a I felt comfortable in doing . I do not want to break anything . What is the safest way to try and get this to turn ?
h.charlie

Re: Frozen take down lever

Post by h.charlie »

I have found that sometimes just trying to tighten it more then loosening it will free a screw if its stuck from rust or old oil, If that doesn't work try using some oil to free it, kroil, wd40 but be careful with wd40, if is still stuck I would move on to using light force, tapping it with a small hammer, cover the lever and surrounding parts with a cloth to prevent damage, anything past this point i would say see a professional as it would involve using heat to expand the metal and can cause it to warp and discolor. I'm sure there a way that's skipping my mind so i would wait to see what others have to say
eagles

Post by eagles »

Thank you . curious if others have had this problem
ranman

Post by ranman »

I have had a few chock tubes frozen and was told to soak them in transmition fluid over night. I tried this and it works great, well for choke tubes anyway. This might work for you .
eagles

Post by eagles »

Not sure how I would do this unless I had a barrel full and stuck the entire barrel down to the screw , LOL ,unless I just put a few drops on the threads and tried that . I think they sell a product to apply to frozen nuts etc , I have to see .