sling swivels

Posts about the Model 8
eagles

sling swivels

Post by eagles »

I see on Ebay and gun broker some screw in solid sling swivels , they are marked for a model 8 and 81 Remington . I did not think Remington ever offered them , did they ? If not isn't that false advertising ? I prefer a sling on a hunting rifle but is there enough meet on that fore arm for a screw in sling swivel like that ? How many use them ? Trying to decide to sling or no .
DWalt

Re: sling swivels

Post by DWalt »

A forward sling swivel should never be screwed into the wooden forestock. A barbaric practice. There is a threaded hole in the barrel jacket ahead of the forestock, and that is what it is there for. Someone here sells swivels that work, but you can make your own. It's easy to modify a swivel with a machine screw to thread into that hole.
eagles

Post by eagles »

Thanks , so you remove the screw that has a little sling swivel shaped handle that holds the fore end to the barrel for the take down feature and replace that screw with one that has a large sling swivel shape that then serves as both the take down screw and the swivel ? Mine allready has a sling swivel shape on the end but it seems way to small for a real sling swivel size ?
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

A reasonable question and thought...
"...so you remove the screw that has a little sling swivel shaped handle that holds the fore end to the barrel for the take down feature and replace that screw with one that has a large sling swivel shape that then serves as both the take down screw and the swivel?"
In a word NO! Beyond the forend/fore-stock/forearm is a flush screw in the barrel jacket, that screw hole is for a sling mount. The swivel looking piece on the forearm screw was to facilitate removing the forearm to start the rifle take-down.

Not to despair, most of us at first thought as you did, and a lot of forearms on these rifles have had been destroyed or at least damaged by a sling being mounted there - one way or the other.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

GREAT advice from DWALT and IMFUNCITY. They know what they're talking about. I will add one tidbit, early Model 8's did not have a threaded barrel jacket for front sling swivels, their jackets are untapped. I can't recall when Remington started tapping the barrel jacket & installing the filler screw but memory wants me to say in the early 1920's.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
eagles

Post by eagles »

Thank you all, and Cam especially as the reason I asked my question was, ---- I have NO extra screw in my barrel jacket, as I looked and looked so , it seemed the ONLY option was the take down screw. My gun was made in 1920 and so it seems they had NOT done this as of yet .SOOOO how to install ? If it is tapped does there need to be some plate put on the other side to prevent barrel damage ? Anyone who has done this please let me know . Thank you .
81police

Post by 81police »

eagles your options are limited. I would highly recommend that you do NOT use a sling attachment where the forearm screw is. As Dwalt pointed out many times guys put holes in the forearm which is even worse because that'll nearly guarantee cracked wood over time (those forearms are thin!)

I have seen soldered barrel bands put around the jackets before.

You can't just tap the jacket wherever you want for a screw hole. The jacket is very thin in most places and you don't want anything rubbing against the barrel or springs, there is one place where there is a "jacket plug" and this is where Remington eventually tapped for sling attachment.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
eagles

Post by eagles »

can some one tell me the exact space between the sling swivel screw and this exact jacket plug spot Remington used ? Wouldn't that work, if it was tapped in the exact same location ?
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

I would not try to drill a hole in barrel jacket and suggest replacing forearm removal screw with same thread sling swivel for use in field and keeping original screw in place during storage. Another option would be to find new barrel jacket to use with sling.
eagles

Post by eagles »

Thanks That was my first idea it seemed others thought not so good . I like it ,a spare swivel to screw into that hole for the field .Anyone see a problem with that, if so what ?
eagles

Post by eagles »

Can anyone with machine skills make me a front swivel that fits in the take down thread for field use as mentioned ? Feel free to email me at willsanders@earthlink.net
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

My suggestion is to use a universal loop sling if you strickly want a sling on your M8 or M81 for transport purposes. This type sling can be used for the convenience of a sling without altering the rifle. One advantage to this type is that it can be easily removed from the rifle when on ground or elevated stand. It is better to hunt without added accessaries.

Here is just one out there available.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... rchID=4005

ROB
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

One other advantage of the loop sling is that there are no metal parts. Most other types of slings will have swivels that allow metal to metal "clink" that will spook close range game if the hunter is not very careful. The game can get away very quickly.

ROB
eagles

Post by eagles »

Thank you. I h ave been hunting with conventional slings on regular and flint locks for over 40 years and have yet to spook an animal with a sling , sure can see it is possible though . I just do not like the looks of those things