To shoot or not to shoot???

Posts about the Model 8
14delta

Re: To shoot or not to shoot???

Post by 14delta »

Absolutly, They were made to be fired. I use hand loads that I work up for each rifle, My loads are just strong enough to function properly in the rifle, I also only use cast bullets with gas checks which I feel are easier on the bore.
I had two 8s in 30 Rem. one rifle was made in 1924 and the other 1928, One rifle needed five more grains of powder to work reliably due to stronger springs you never know how tired the springs are so start low and work up. I'd really be cautious about shooting factory loads in a older rifle I did'nt know.
14delta
P.S. The gent I traded my backup .30 to is now a true believer, He could'nt believe how accurate it was and how nice it shot. The look on his face when he hit a gong at 200 yds. with his first shot was priceless
tbury

Post by tbury »

+1 on shoot. I shoot all the guns I own including a Remington .41 RF derringer. Since I handload I tend to use cast bullets in loads enough to cycle the gun but not push it. Autoloaders should not be hotrodded anyway. I would carefully check any new (old) gun before firing and some may spend a lot more time in the safe but I definitely will shoot any gun I own.

Of course that may change the first time I break a major part. Then I would depend on how much effort it took to find the replacement part.
81police

Post by 81police »

I'm going to be the black sheep and say shoot some, don't shoot others. Some model 8 and 81's are clearly collectibles, either by their condition, their rarity, or a combination of both. It's true most of these rifles have already been fired, but if I had invested several thousand into a particular 8 or 81, I would not put that investment at risk by shooting ammunition of any type through that rifle which may cause a damaged or broken original part.

Having said that there are definitely more shooters than collectors out there. Some for collecting some for shooting.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
tbury

Post by tbury »

81 I know where you are coming from. I definitely would not take a Peerless Grade gun on a deer hunt. I am not sure I would not take it to the range, at least a few times to awe the other shooters. But I have yet to see a standard grade that should be a "Safe Queen". Since most of these guns were bought as tools rather than Presentation pieces shooting should not devalue them at all. If I was going for a regular hunting gun, there are plenty of "shooter grade" guns out there. So that is where I would go for a "tool". The most expensive gun I have bought is a $1500 model 14 in 25. Rem. The blue is in excellent shape and original, the stock has been refinished. You can believe me that it has and will be shot, but it is given the best care I can give it in transit and at the range. JMHO :D
Viper Spray

Post by Viper Spray »

I say shoot them all , just be a bit more careful when shooting the collectable guns.

1818972981_15e0190104_o.jpg
1818972981_15e0190104_o.jpg (54.66 KiB) Viewed 5623 times