1906 Model 8

Posts about the Model 8
quilbilly

1906 Model 8

Post by quilbilly »

I am trying to pry my grandpa's 8 from my dad. He's got it up on the wall with no interest in shooting it, and the salt air is wreaking havoc on the old girl.

My question: I've cycled some rounds through it and it shoots straight, but it stovepipes the brass rather than fully ejecting them. It's a fun gun to shoot, but I'd like to put the autoloading feature back into this autoloader. Any suggestions?

Oh yeah, it's SN# 160!
81police

Re: 1906 Model 8

Post by 81police »

Sounds like a weak ejector spring but could be a number of things, here are a few suggestions from Remington's 8/81 service manual regarding failed extraction...

Cause A - Extractor has light tension at claw
Correction - Bend upward the middle of extractor spring to produce more tension at claw

Cause B - Extractor has too much space between claw and bottom of counterbore in face of breech bolt
Correction - Fit new extractor

Cause C - Ejector spring weak or ejector rusted fast in hole
Correction - If spring is weak, fit new spring, if rusted remove ejector spring, clean, polish, oil thoroughly and assemble.

Cause D - Ejector does not have enough forward motion
Correction - Remove ejector and file near end of clearance slot to provide more forward motion, be sure lower front corner or ejector is filed below face of bolt to permit shell head to feed upward freely.

Hope this helps.

Cam
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
quilbilly

Re: 1906 Model 8

Post by quilbilly »

I really appreciate the info, Cam. I have disassembled the rifle and am giving it a thorough cleaning. The ejector is either jammed or rusted fast in the compressed position. I've tried to free it up with some PB Blaster, but that doesn't seem to be doing the trick. Short of tapping the ejector and trying to pull it free, I'm not sure what else can be done. Any suggestions would be welcome! I'll keep you posted and provide some photos of the old girl when I get her back together.