Model 8 serial numbers.

Posts about the Model 8
ROBOPUMP

Model 8 serial numbers.

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Henwoods book list the last serial number for the model 8 in 1935 to be 68841 and 640 rifles manufactured in 1936. That would make the last serial number for 1936 to be 69481 and not 69581 as shown and duplicated on this site. Then the last serial number for 1937 to be 69485 after adding 4 rifles which matches up with the 69481 rather than the 69581. Either Remington or Henwood appear to have an error. Henwood does show that serial numbers up to 69899 do exist. However, Remington documents that 69514 to be the production total.

Do we have any serial number experts out there????

I will attempt to show some pictures of my model 8 with serial number 69551. It is with (I think) standard fron sight, Lymen fold down barrel jacket sight and a Marbles rear tang sight with newly purchased AperturesandMore aperture. Why did so many tang peep sights have the aperture missing???? This rifle has the semi-pistol grip with the flat bottom. When purchased, the rifle had a badly decaying butt pad and I had it replaced with a Limb Saver pad done by Gander Mountain. A so-so job, not perfect, but acceptable.

Robo

Well the picture file was too large.I will need to learn how to do this better.
ikeda

Re: Model 8 serial numbers.

Post by ikeda »

Generally serial number problems such as you describe can be traced to various numbers being skipped (who knows why), or numbers not used because a rifle was scrapped, or one being used for parts to fix another existing rifle.
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I think I got the picture in this time.

Robo
Attachments
DSCF4187.JPG
DSCF4187.JPG (80.68 KiB) Viewed 9240 times
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

You guys will get tired of me. I forgot to let you know it is in 35 Rem and the barrel date code is AE (March of 1936).

Robo
81police

Post by 81police »

ROBO,

The serial numbers listed are just the numbers as advertised by Remington to their production according to John Henwood's research. Of course we know through Henwood they manufactured more than the numbers listed. In fact # 69540 sold a couple months ago on gunbroker...

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =139856523

I can only imagine apertures missing because they are easily unscrewed or were removed to put on another tang sight. Modern reproductions can be found here...

http://www.aperturesnmore.com/
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
bigskybound

Post by bigskybound »

I recently bought one with SN 69508. :D
imfuncity

Re: Model 8 sights

Post by imfuncity »

"Lyman fold down barrel jacket sight and a Marbles rear tang sight with newly purchased AperturesandMore aperture."
I've been meaning to ask you guys how does his stuff look? I'm not questioning his work, I understand it is good. What I'm wondering is, does the new work stand out as "new"? And/or then can it be made to look older, etc.? I'm thinking of an application similar to bigskybound where the rear sight or front post needs replaced and similar type of things for MY OWN shooters? (Or even if he does these?)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Good question and I think I have most of the right answers for you. Back in 2007 I did some work with Joe. Aperturesnmore guy's name is Joe Hulett and he married into a old gun shop. He bought a lathe and knurling machine just to see if he could make some extra money. As I remember, he was going to try to pay for the equipment in a year and did so in just several months. His email is jhulett@chartermi.net or at least it was back in 2007.

I had bought an aperture from him and gave him some info on the gun it was to go on. He came back and asked me to help him with a tang screw for the model 8. With several emails, I gave him the caliper measurements of the three tang screws for the straight model 8, the semi-pistol grip model 8 and the model 81 along with pictures. He made a tang screw for the straight model 8 and shipped it to me for a test run. It fit and looked perfect. I sent it back to him.

I also had him make me some forearm screws for the model 8 but with screw driver slot rather than the ring type head. I put them in some model 8's and the rifles look cleaner to me. I also helped him with the dimensions on the barrel jacket plug scew and he sent me a couple free for my trouble. He is easy to work with and can make just about any type old screw with the correct thread per inch used back then.
His work is very good and he uses a special process to get the old style blue (black) with a kind of satin finish, but very black. I did get him to let me know the process and it is an old gunsmith secret, so I won't reveal it here. It only works on small pieces such as screws, trigger and the such. It will not work on large pieces like receivers.
Joe is a very nice guy that I would say is in his 30's which if I remember correctly has two small children. He works at the gun shop, but Aperturesnmore are his own company and he gets the proceeds. The money does not go through the gun shop. That is most of what I remember about him in 2007.
imfuncity

Re: Aperturesnmore

Post by imfuncity »

Sounds like my kind of guy!! I appreciate the info on him. Now that I'm connecting the dots it seems to me that I had his email address a year or two back - didn't it have "win." in it back then? Seems I corresponded with him regarding a couple of things for an old Winchester. Nevertheless, when the old forum went away I had not backed up my stuff and all was lost.

Appreciate the details regarding Joe and his work, that makes a big difference to me; I like knowing whom I'm supporting. I won't lose his info this time and we'll be doing some business!
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine