Remington Model 14 1/2 -A ...Would love some help here.

Posts about the Model 8
rickyjoecollect

Remington Model 14 1/2 -A ...Would love some help here.

Post by rickyjoecollect »

New gun added to my Remington collection....Model 14 1/2-A.....I have seen several of these model 14 1/2 rifles. Apparently pretty rare.....This one has a few differences. Here are a few questions: What does the "-A" stand for in the serial number?....And I also have never seen the little thumb switch on the receiver at the chamber? Also has a 721XX serial....wonder what MFG date would be?I would love any possible info......Many Thanks in advance!
Attachments
gun.jpg
gun.jpg (195.28 KiB) Viewed 7604 times
Sarge756

Re: Remington Model 14 1/2 -A ...Would love some help here.

Post by Sarge756 »

Welcome and glad you posted a photo of your "new" 14 1/2 . There are a few of us here that collect this other Remington among our 8`s and 81`s. Agree with you that I`ve not seen one like the one you have. Will be interesting to see the response from some of our knowledgable collectors. What is this one chambered in ?
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

Hi,
The A indicates it is the carbine model of the 14 series. These were all in pistol calibers with short 22" barrels. The switch is a bolt lock thumb safty. Proved to be hard to work with gloved hands, not popular and was dropped on later models. A rare gun and much sought after my Model 14/141 collectors. Cowboy action folks like them too.
rickyjoecollect

Post by rickyjoecollect »

Awesome info....the caliber is 38-40....any other info much appreciated!
big al

Post by big al »

here is a link to a thread in the other Remingtons section of this forum you may find helpful.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2358
Allen(Big Al)
Rem8&81

Post by Rem8&81 »

You do have a nice rifle. I collect these as well, but would not consider myself an all-knowing expert. However, while I agree with wildgoose about the thumbnail safety, I believe there is a mix-up regarding the "A". I believe the "A" is refering to it being a standard "A" grade rifle, whereas a rifle marked 14 1/2R would be a carbine. The "R" is the typical indicator of carbines in the models 14, 14 1/2, and 25's. I could be wrong, but I believe I'm correct on this. Anyways, there is a great book on the Remington pumps by Ken Blauch called "Remington Models 14 & 141". It discusses your rifle, the thumbnail safety, the carbines and what all the markings mean. Ken is really the authority on these great pumps. The book is offered at the Remington Society's website. I have attached the link. I highly recommend the book. Not the fanciest, but great information and a great price for all the content. http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/books/Remington14
[color=#004000]COREY CREAMER[/color]
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Agree Mr. Blauch has a fine booklet - got it for Christmas last year... and just realized that I had not finished reading it. :o I'm fixing that oversight right now! :ugeek:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine