Odd rear sight

Posts about the Model 8
texassako

Odd rear sight

Post by texassako »

It sure is an odd rear sight on this one: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =304382388 . Homemade I presume? The front sight has me thinking, I have one of those on a fixer upper rolling block in the back of the safe. I might have to take it off and check for fit on an 8.
imfuncity

Re: Odd rear sight

Post by imfuncity »

Very interesting - nothing like anything I've seen or can find in any books. I agree, looks like a onesie. Wonder if it works?
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Rem8&81

Post by Rem8&81 »

Wow, and some people refer to our beloved springpoles as clunky, this sight is the epitome of chunky, clunky and ugly. I have to hand it to the guy, he obviously had more time, resources, tools and mechanical smarts, than money and common sense. Back in the day Marbles and Lyman sights were fairly readily accessible and for relatively cheap prices. This sight must have taken the guy more time and energy than would make any sense, but I bet it still works. It has to be a one of a kind, does anyone really believe this thing went into any type of production?!? Although it does slightly resemble a crude version of the big and ugly Williams peep sight that certainly was put into production. Man that is UGLY!
[color=#004000]COREY CREAMER[/color]
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Would be interesting to know the story behind this rear sight, no doubt it worked, no quick change micrometer adjustment however. Chunk of aluminum, hacksaw, file, screws scavanged from something, maybe depression era do it yourself. Lyman 5 combination sort of like the Beach front sight would have cost something. Still interesting.