Conversion Time Again

Posts about the Model 8
jack1653

Conversion Time Again

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

I have finally bit the "bullet" and ventured into an area that I have avoided. I finally decided that I would try to convert the standard fixed magazine to a POE 15 shot magazine. I know many of you have read my story about the "VerSchneider Conversion" here on the forum.

Today, I made my first attempt at a conversion. I took a spare model 8 15 shot POE .35 Rem magazine and converted one of my Model 8 .25 Rem to accept the magazine. Thank goodness for the Dermal tool. The magazine fits as firmly in the rifle as the ones that 2verpsters did for me.

81police had sent me a copy of an old POE memo that gave some technical information involving the distance between the tabs and my mag appeared to be very close to those specifications. I did not have to bend the tabs on the magazine because it appeared it may have been altered to accept the .30 caliber before I had purchased the magazine. I loaded the magazine and cycled the ammo through the rifle. I loaded and emptied the magazine as fast as I could pull the bolt and it emptied the magazine. I have not shot it yet but see no reason why it won't fire. I just need to get to the shooting range rip off a few. I know it won't be as punishing on the shoulder as the .35.

81police is evaluating the pictures that I sent to him. I asked him to post them for me. One of the pictures show the standard Schnable forearm and another has a reproduction Police Model forearm from one of my other rifles which was made by Remcrazy. I am trying to decide if I need to call Remcrazy and order another of his excellent reproduction forearms. What do you guys think?

Another project completed involving these old "springpoles". I am already working on another in my head and if I can pull it off, I will have to go on a vacation to get away form the rifles for a spell.

Regards,

Jack1653
81police

Re: Conversion Time Again

Post by 81police »

Jack's custom POE in .25Rem
Attachments
custom POE in 25rem.jpg
custom POE in 25rem.jpg (579.82 KiB) Viewed 10589 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Packmule

Post by Packmule »

Very nice Jack! Very nice indeed!

RSA Member
German Gun Collectors Association

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Rem8&81

Post by Rem8&81 »

Nice project, nice result Jack! Bob does nice work on the forearms as well. It should be a smooth shooting old girl. Keep us posted on how it functions.
[color=#004000]COREY CREAMER[/color]
ranman

Post by ranman »

That looks like it would be waaay to much fun to shoot! very nice.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Awesome work,Jack. You can truly be proud of that rifle @ I wish I could shoot it with you someday. Who knows, maybe someday! But Georgia is a long ways fro Iowa. Have some fun with her.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
81police

Post by 81police »

I'll get in line for a chance to shoot that springpole ;)
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Post by 81police »

Jack's done it again :o Here's some of his recent conversions of standard rifles, in assorted calibers, to accept POE magazines. Nice work Jack! Now I love smoking through 15 rounds in a POE rifle, but the one in 300Sav I'll let you do the shooting :D

OUCH

Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

The dreaded "jackitis" has hit the namesake once again. This time it comes in the form of using exisitng rifles but with the same consequences. $$$$$$.

Sometimes a fella just needs to venture outside the traditional path. :? As many of you know I am always looking for a new project involving these marvelous rifles. Ever since I had those first two conversions made by Pete, I knew that someday I would like to get a couple more. :roll: Well, I finally have a complete set of the conversions. My definition of this "set" is one for each caliber in both the Model 8 and Model 81.

So as not to create any confusion about taking perfectly good rifles and altering them just to satisfy a desire, let me put many of you at ease. The rifles used for the conversions were not "collectors" but were "shooters". They were still very functional but as you may be able to tell from the pictures, the external condition left much to be desired. I chose to use the rifles that had some issues but not serious enough to make them noticeable particularly after I am going to try and make them all look alike when the project is completed.

Phase I of the project was to make the conversion for the rifles to accept the POE 15 shot magazine. Pete had done the first two for me in a Model 8 .35 and a Model 81 .35. These rifles perform beautifully and 81polices have shot well over 200 rounds in these two rifles. I am sure many of you have viewed the videos of us shooting the conversions. It took me a little time on the first conversion and each rifle is a little differennt so it takes some time and patience to get the conversion done perfectly. I will say that each one became a little easier as I gained confidence in the process. I have successfully converted a Model 8 in ,25, .30, and .32. I have converted the Model 81 in .30, .32, and .300 Savage.

The rifles will share magazines since I do not have enough to fit each rifle. Maybe one of these days I will come across some more magazines but until then I will have to use exixting magzines. The .25, .30, and .32 will share one Model 8 magazine that is in.30 caliber. This is good since all three cartiridege are the same size. The Model 81 .30 and .32 will share a Model 81 magazine from my Police Model 81 .30. The Model 81 .300 Savage will share the magazine from the VerSchneider Model 81 .35 conversion.

Phase II of the project is to get all the rifles bead blasted to accept the "Cerakote" ceramic coating. This will take a little time but the results will be outstanding and all the rifles will have the same excellent appearance when completed.

Phase III is the wood refinishing. Again, the pictures tell the story on the wood. Anything that I do to the wood would be an improvement over the exixiting. I have started the re-finishing and raising dents and removing the finish, where there is finish is going to take a little time. The 300 Savage had a recoil pad on the stock but I have decided to replace it with the standard Remington butt plate. Fortunately the previous owner had not cut the stock so putting the metal plate on the rifles was fairly easy. I may wish that I had left the recoil pad on the rifle after I shoot it in rapid rifle for 15 rounds. :lol:

As I commented in my post on the first conversion for the .25, about the POE forearms, I have asked Remcrazy to make 6 forearms for the rifles, three in Model 8 and 3 in Model 81. 81police and I are in agreement about how much better the rifles handle in a rapid fire mode using The POE forearms than than the standard issue forearms. I will have to wait for a few months before I get the new forearms, but the wait will be worth it.

I hope all of you enjoy the newest project involving these rifles. It will be awhile before I get the metal refinishe and when it is done, I will have 81police post some new pictures. These pictures will be followed with a new picture when I get the forearms from Remcrazy.

Regards,

jack1653
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

You one crazy guy - very very cool!
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
eagles

Post by eagles »

what would this cost for my 35 model 8 , including the Mag ? Thanks
eagles

Post by eagles »

forgot to say mine is a standard fixed magazine
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey eagles,

If you can get a magazine, PM me and I'll discuss costs for the conversion. I do not furnish magazines but can make the conversion if you can get a magazine. The rifle must be in good working and shooting condition before I will attempt the conversion. Each conversion is unique to that rifle and magazine and costs are a function of time to make everything fit and work properly.

Regards,

jack1653