Unusual Remington model 8

Posts about the Model 8
Blastattack

Unusual Remington model 8

Post by Blastattack »

I was browsing the web researching firearms, and came across this post on IMFDB in The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor:
Remington Model 8
The Remington Model 8, fitted with a scope and silencer in disassembled condition, can be seen in the weapon box of Alex O'Connell.

The setup is entirely... weird? Not sure how to describe it. The barrel and suppressor can be seen at the top of the photo, obviously it's an entirely fictional setup, as the suppressor would be sheared of by simply firing the rifle. The rifle also clearly has an M84 scope attached via an M1D Garand mount. Does anyone know anything about this peculiar firearm? I attempted to find the weapons provider, in the hope of finding more pictures, but was unable to locate them in the credits.
[img]http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/iB_html/uploads/post-71-27209-Canada_Flag.jpg[/img]

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - When all else fails, vote from the rooftops
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est"
Packmule

Re: Unusual Remington model 8

Post by Packmule »

don't know much about the rifle you posted but will let you know that since Texas has passed the sliencer law here in Texas I am working on putting one on a model 8 will
give more details as I go along. Regards RMJ

RSA Member
German Gun Collectors Association

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey packmule,

If you get that figured out I would like to know how you are going to procede. Georgia also allows suppressors but there are few hoops that you have to jump through. I have thought of one approach but would like to discuss it with you for another opinion. I might have a couple of candidates for such a project. I have had some discussion with my gunsmith and he doesn't see it as much of a problem.

Regards,

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

We know the one pictured above would never work because as the barrel recoiled into the jacket the suppressor would bang against the jacket.

In order for it to all work I'm thinking of a couple ways...

1. You make a suppressor the same overall diameter as the barrel. This is a problem because M8 barrels are thin and this doesn't leave room for baffles.

2. You could remove the barrel nut and use that thread to attach a suppressor with enough space between it and the jacket so that it does not recoil into the jacket. I wonder if the added weight would affect function? If the suppressor was made out of titanium or aluminum that might not add much. If the barrel & jacket were chopped down to 17" then this was done, the 5" loss of barrel weight might equal that of a suppressor. Plus the rifle wouldn't look ridiculously long.

I'm not a suppressor guy but if someone is maybe they could enlighten us :)
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Blastattack

Post by Blastattack »

Well, here'as an insane idea: What about installing the suppressor inside the barrel shroud?

Basically shorten the barrel to carbine length, somehow set the spring assembly back, and install the suppressor between the end of the barrel and the jacket nut. Externally, the rifle would appear stock, it would function exactly the same (with the suppessor now acting as the barrel nut), but would have an "integral" suppressor installed. This would most certainly require a very robust suppressor, as it would be constantly transmitting the forward blow of the barrel slamming home. Using Ti or a similar super-light alloy would make this much easier, and of course lighter. I'm not sure how well I'm describing it, so i'll try and draw up a picture to show what I mean.
[img]http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/iB_html/uploads/post-71-27209-Canada_Flag.jpg[/img]

Blastattack

Post by Blastattack »

There is also the major question of what effect a suppressor, which is basically a hyper efficient muzzle brake that reduces sound, would have on the recoil action of the firearm. Being a long recoil, there could potentially be an issue with a lack of energy to adequately cycle the action.

Blastattack

Post by Blastattack »

So, as stated before, the theory would be to replace the barrel nut with the suppressor. You would not be able to remove the suppressor without first removing the shroud retaining ring, unlike on the standard 8/81.
Modifications required would be as follows:
1. Shorten barrel by length of suppressor unit (6"?)
2. Set back spring assembly by approximately same length, without shortening barrel jacket
3. Thread barrel to accept suppressor. Threads would be identical to factory threads.
4. Design, Build, Install and Test Suppressor unit. Repeat as necessary.
5. ?????
6. Profit!

In all seriousness, it shouldn't be that difficult to design and manufacture something that will theoretically work. The problems start to arise when we begin to futz with JMBs very well though out and balanced design. I do not know what effect a suppressor would have on the recoil impulse, nor do I know what effect it may have on drag and wear inside the barrel jacket. The suppressor unit must be made very robustly, so that it can absorb the slamming motion of the barrel without bulging, deforming or bending, but also sufficiently light so as not to drastically affect the weight and handling of the firearm. The theory is incredibly simple, but the overarching engineering seems to be less so. It is certainly an ambitious project to tackle, and one that, due to Canadian legal issues, i cannot pursue :(

Suppressor interior construction is another field entirely. I believe the best way to tackle it would be to follow the route AAC has taken, build your suppressor in parts, weld them together and attach a covering to make it pretty. This increases rigidity, but more importantly, increases the compression yield. This is a much better system than floating K baffles inside a tube, where most of the linear force would be transmitted through the tube walls and/or through the the relatively weak K baffles that comprise the core.

That's my .02, let me know what it's worth you you guys.