Model 8 foend project

Posts about the Model 8
The Goose

Model 8 foend project

Post by The Goose »

When I first joined this forum a few months back I posted a photo of a Model 8 that I had just picked up. It was pretty much determined that it jad been re-blued, the buttstock replaced with one from a Browning A5 and the bolt cover had been jeweled after market. About my third trip to the range the forend split in half and I was unable to repair it. Through this forum I discovered Bob at Circle Branch and I contacted him regarding getting a new replacement forend. I decided that finding an original really was not that important. I bought the rifle for very short money ($300) as a shooter and most of it is not original any more. However, I did want it to look nice. Bob was very fast to respond and make me a new forend with the nut already installed. After a little minor fitting and a week and a half of sanding, staining, aplying coats of Tru Oil, waxing etc. you can see the finished product. I am very pleased with the results and really want to thank Bob for his excellent service.

Roger

Re: Model 8 foend project

Post by Roger »

Goose, this is just my opinion, but your buttstock doesn't look like an Auto-5 stock to me. Maybe someone else on this forum can say if it's aFn 1900 stock.?? I can't say, but I've never seen an Auto -5 stock with cheeks.Maybe it's a real rem. M-8 deluxe stock. On another subject, someone on this forum had some custom checkering done recently and posted pics. It might be worth checking it out to see about checkering your new forearm. Once again,just myself thinking out loud in print.
Thanks for your time
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
The Goose

Post by The Goose »

Roger, Thanks for the input. Yeah, I do not actually know about the butt stock. The idea of it being an A5 was put forth by others on this forum. No matter. It is a beautiful rifle that someone cherished and invested in. I will have to think about the checkering. It would look nice.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Goose, the guy here on the forum who had the custom checking done is WesF. His posting is listed under pictures of your m-8/81 s thanks
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
olskool

Post by olskool »

i would cheker it for sure, it would complete the gun.
I have never harvested an animal, but I have killed quite a few.............
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

The Remington pre model 11 autoloaders and early Remington Model 11s had cheeks and used nicely figured english walnut, the round knob grip was also used and checkering looks same. So could be from Remington shotgun but also could be original rifle stock or maybe nice custom job since stock appears to have colored spacer under butt plate. At any rate it is a beautiful stock and piece of craftsmanship and well suits your needs as a shooter and has eye candy appeal. Very nice addition to anyones stable. Jerry