Got this Model 8 in a trade, info?

Posts about the Model 8
tg1987

Got this Model 8 in a trade, info?

Post by tg1987 »

I'm not much into buying/selling/collecting guns (not that I don't like 'em!), so I am hoping I can get some info on this weapon. Recently acquired in a trade for some paintwork on a motorcycle. I know its a .35, I believe a 1914, but that is all I know. I'm not really looking for any specific information, just anything any of you knowledgeable folks can pass along. From what I can tell, most of the stamping is worn off, except for the serial number, which reads 3 4 9 X X, and what look like several trademark dates on the barrel. I can provide more pictures if that will assist in any way.

I guess what I am asking is basically, what do I have here? Thanks for any insight!
jack1653

Re: Got this Model 8 in a trade, info?

Post by jack1653 »

Hey tg1987,

Welcome to the forum and thankyou for providing some pictures.

What you have is a Remington Model 8 that was indeed produced (issued) in 1914 according to the serial number you have provided. It appears to have been used but not unduly abused. The stock appears to have the normal wear and tear for a rifle that is 98 years old. The forearm appears to have a very pretty grain and looks in very good condition. I would say that the blueing is almost gone and the gun has a nice patina that is consistent with a gun of this age. My guess that the gun was used a lot and explains the worn appearance of the metal. The 35 cartridge is an excellent cartridge and can still be purchased in modern amuniton.

Please feel free to view the forum for additonal information about these rifles and how to tear them down for cleaning. If you plan on shooting it and you do not feel comfortable in making a determaination on the safe condition of the rifle, I would urge you to take it to a competetent gunsmith and have it checked.

If we can assist you with any additonal questions that you may have, please feel free to post them. There are a lot of good knowledgeable guys who are always willing to offer an opion or advice.

Regards,

jack1653
Roger

Re: Got this Model 8 in a trade, info?

Post by Roger »

Tg1987,welcome aboard@thanks for posting the pics.Jack is correct and very knowledgable about these rifles. Your rifle indeed looks used but not unduly abused.53rem. Is a very desirable caliber, @is still for sale at any finer gunshop or guns how.If you decide to sell it I hope you will contact the good members of this forum first. Many of us would love to give it a good new home, myself included. I have several M-8 s in about the same condition @ love to shoot them regularly, also deer hunt with them. If you decide to keep it you are already in the right place!! The members of this forum are friendly@ helpful.
Thank you for time,
Roger Williams
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com