Getting the old gal to shoot

Posts about the Model 8
The Goose

Getting the old gal to shoot

Post by The Goose »

I posted a little while back that I had acquired my first Model 8 in .32 Rem. It came with 6 loaded rounds and 40 pieces of brass. Of course I imediately ran to the range and blew off the 6 loaded rounds. The first 5 rounds were flawless and printed about 5" at 100 yards. The lone 6th round fired but did not eject. I ordered loading dies, some .30 brass and Horanady 170 gr flatnose bullets. In the meantime I read as much as I could about the rifle and the round. I could not find much load data for the .32 Rem, but it seemed that a lot of folks advised that it could be loaded similarly to the .32 Winchester Special. When I had all of my stuff and wanting to use powder that I already had I loaded up 20 rds with 28 grs of Reloder 7 and the 170 gr Hornady bullet. It did not seem to reliably cycle the action so I upped it to 30 grs which worked better, but accuracy was so so. I then tried 32 grs of IMR 4895 which was extremely accurate. So far I have only been working at 50 yards, but I can now consistently get touching groups and will be moving out to 100 yards. One thing that I noticed was that each time I went to shoot the first few magazines would have at least 1 round that would fire, but not eject. As if the bolt was not going back far enough to eject that empty case. However, once the rifle was warm it would function fine. I also noticed that when the rifle got really warm that some black greasy stuff would seep out around the seams by the magazine. After reading some of the posts about the amount of crud some guys found when they really stripped down the action I finally got up my courage and took it apart. Following the disaasembly video on youtube I took it apart. Sure enough everything was caked with probably 100 years of crud. I spent a good several hours meticulously cleaning the components, a light spray of Rem oil and back together. Problem solved. I suspect that all that old crusty stuff was inhibiting the action and that once it got hot enough it would liquify and things would work fine. Now that it seems like everything is functioning well I can go to work on an ideal load.

I have a Model 81 .35 Rem coming later this week and the whole process starts all over. Woo hoo!
imfuncity

Re: Getting the old gal to shoot

Post by imfuncity »

Very cool. These old girls were tanks and just kept working. Great story.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Roger

Post by Roger »

Goose, glad to hear you have worked thru your small issue.experience is the best teacher. Also I've been reloading 32 rem . For several yrs. Now. Try these 2 loadings.hogden's new leverevolution powder,start w/ 34 gr.--up to 35.5 Max. W/hornady--ftx lvr.165 gr. Bullets. Also your I Mr 4895__33.4 gr. W/ speed 170 gr.hotcor#2259--2.525" Col. The ftx rd. Is--2.550" Col. These are both real good in my 2 -rem.8 's.---good luck.---roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
The Goose

Post by The Goose »

Roger, Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!
olskool

Post by olskool »

i have one in 32 and i also have a 32 special in a 1950 336 marlin. i shoot the same load in both, 30 gr. of imr4895 with a rcbs cast lead bullet. Imageand they are both tackdrivers. the lady i got my 8 from said here dad hunted with it in napa valley cal. it dates 1929
I have never harvested an animal, but I have killed quite a few.............
Roger

Post by Roger »

Goose,your 32 rem. M-8 is a real good looker. I'm jealous. Be very proud of her. Thanks for sharing a pic. Of it
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sorry, olskool, i'm still new to this computer deal. I meant that post to be you.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com