Gonna thin the herd ....

Posts about the Model 8
rem81auto

Gonna thin the herd ....

Post by rem81auto »

Well at least I am going to try. I will attending the Louisville, Kentucky Gun Show this coming weekend with f.a.b/Rick. I will have 5 or so Model 8's and I think Rick will have at least one ea. Model 8/81 ... if you are in the neighborhood swing by and purchase a couple new toys. I will settle for a hello and handshake if I have nothing of interest. Dennis

Western

Re: Gonna thin the herd ....

Post by Western »

I have been ghosting gun shows looking for the perfect DWM 1908 Brazil Mauser receiver to build a historically accurate rifle that my wife's G-Grandfather carried in WW1. I am happy I am not going to your gunshow because that assembly looks like 22 divorces waiting to happen, although I wish I could look at them.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Rem81auto,

How did the herd thinning go at the Kentucky Gun Show? :?: I sure wish that I could have made it but it was just too far for me and as it turned out I was under the weather the whole weekend. :( I am sure you had more 8 & 81's than the gun show had seen in some time. Did your friend that was going with you have any luck? I am just interested to hear how the market for the rifles is fairing in the southeast.

Regards,

jack1653
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

Hi Jack,sadly the herd is well and fine. I kinda came close to selling one 8 but it didn't happen. The crowd was very good and a few people showed some general interest. I would guess besides me the show had 3 other 8's and 2 81's for sale... Brian Creamer was there with a couple nice guns he didn't sell anyhing either. I did see an 8 that was engraved as belonging to Frank Hamer @ $8500.00
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Anyone besides me thinking that "Frank Hamer's" Model 8 shows up about as often as Jesse James or Billy the Kid pistols? (They had their hands full if they owned and/or shot all their so called guns. :roll: )
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Funny that you mention the Frank Hamer rifle. I was thinking the same thing myself. I know that I have seen 3 or 4 similar comments about the rifles that have been in the hands of Frank and really never thought too much about it. I have always figured Frank was like many of us in that he liked guns. :o I guess all it takes is one incident to make you famous, like the Bonnie and Clyde killings, :shock: to make everything you own suddenly bring a premium. Personally, I prefer staying out of the limelight so I guess my stuff will never be worth very much. :lol: :lol:

Regards,

jacl1653
Western

Post by Western »

There is a bunch of "billy the kid" pistols in Arizona, but I remember talking to a collector who pointed out that even if one existed, it would likely be a wrecked up and rusted Schofield. For some reasons when you see John Wesley Hardin's personal 44 being displayed at the world's largest ball of twine, it is always in perfect condition.
Packmule

Post by Packmule »

hey Dennis if any are still for sale send me a list looking for couple thx RJ

RSA Member
German Gun Collectors Association

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

Pack,
I do not have anything for sale that meets your condition requirements.
Packmule

Post by Packmule »

well Dennis would lower my grading for a decent pistol gripped model 8 never had one
always wanted one. If you have one in at least 80 % u want to sell let me know thanks RJ

RSA Member
German Gun Collectors Association

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

Rich,
I have an 8 round PG marked 30-30 but it's plugged from scope mounts and I think the butt has some overvarnish ... PM me if it's of interest to you and I will take some pics. Dennis
curtisc

Post by curtisc »

Do u have a 30 rem in an A model
curtisc

Post by curtisc »

Rem81
Pm me with a price list of what you have and calibers i may be interested in a couole ty
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

In my experience gun shows have become a waste of time except for seeing and touching base with old friends and acquaintences. Here at least, they have become flea markets of overpriced items the owners must be afraid might sell if priced reasonably. Recently I took 3 model 8s, 1 poor, 1 fair and 1 good condition, best I could do on poor and fair was $200 for both and little more for the good. Cabelas will offer 50-65% of book for stuff, maybe easy way to go. Seems only thing moving is surplus military ammo, black guns, lazer sighted handguns and ammo. People are scared I guess and fear having to defend themselves from real and imagined enemys. Am an old man and long for the days when among other things I would ride a school bus with shotgun, put it in my locker, take it back on bus after school, get off bus short of home farm, walk the fields and creek hunting for some meat for the table or a critter to skin for fur to sell.
Gun shows then were that, collections brought out and displayed, trading among collectors before public was allowed in. Few items were for sale to public, collection displays were exactly that and not priced or for sale. Public admission was basically for paying expenses of the event
and not some promotors profit.
End of rant, y'all have a great life, Jerry
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

sighthound wrote: .....Am an old man and long for the days when among other things I would ride a school bus with shotgun, put it in my locker, take it back on bus after school, get off bus short of home farm, walk the fields and creek hunting for some meat for the table or a critter to skin for fur to sell.......End of rant, y'all have a great life, Jerry
Jerry,

I had to reply to this portion of your post, once I re-read it this morning. I don't consider myself an old man (today, at least) because I am only teasing the 50-year-old mark. However, I want to tell a short story quite similar to your own.

As an Army family, my dad luckily was stationed in Heidelberg, Germany from '64-'67. Mom and I got to go, too! Anyway, once we moved back to the states, in mid-'67, he finished out his service contract and then continued to work as a civilian for the Army with Night Vision Lab at Fort Belvoir, Virginia for many years. During this time, in about 1970, he relocated the family (which, by now, had grown to 4 kids - I was the oldest) to a 40-acre subsistence farm in Chancellorsville, Virginia.

It was growing up on the farm that reminded me of how different things really were, not so very long ago. Jerry, your story of taking a hunting rifle or shotgun to school and then going hunting or shooting afterwards was also something I remembered clearly.
My bus route was long, once I began to go to Middle School at John J. Wright. That school was at the extreme southern end of Spotsylvania County, closer to Thornburg really, south of Spotsylvania Courthouse. My dad's farm was almost at the southern bank of the Rapidan River, where Ely's Ford Road crossed into Culpeper County. We had a LONG bus ride!

Several times a year, older boys would bring guns in their soft cases or just on their shoulders with a sling onto the bus, and probably do just as you said - take and put them in their lockers until dismissal. Then, they would either go rabbit or target shooting or whatnot. I imagine they might have had their older brothers or dads pick them up later (in a pickup, of course! everyone had a pickup where I lived, no SUV's yet!) - so Jerry, I know personally that this was common.

Probably a Southern thing, can't see that happening up North too much.

Now, I can't even bring my original 1790's flintlock on school property, although it would really be a great centerpiece for my unit on the early Colonies and the American Revolution!

...ok, ramble off....
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

These were the days and times before political correct was ever heard of and we were still a free republic of free independent self sustaining citizens. Now I read 60% of our citizens receive some sort of payment from government. It is the same old devil and Daniel Webster story over and over, sell your soul for a few pieces of gold and one day the devil will take your soul.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Jerry,Adam Lee and All,
We are not alone. Came across this article and I believe it pretty much sums up what most of us feel but perhaps havn`t put into words.
Joe

http://www.fredoneverything.net/Guns.shtml
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sarge, what a great commentary. I grew up out in the middle of nowhere here in Iowa, and spent at least half of my childhood on my grandparents farm. So I can relate to everything you guys are talking about. I just wish uncle Sam would shrink in size and but out of my life .
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

When I was a teenager in highschool, nearly everyone with a pickup truck had a gun rack for two in the back window. Probably one rifle and one shotgun. I lived 3 houses down fron the school, but drove to school in a 1954 Dodge pickup. School out at 3:20 and off to hunt or whatever. Truck was NEVER locked and never missed anything. We do miss our old America when people trusted each other. Now, nobody trust anybody.
keltg

Post by keltg »

that pretty much sums it all up. I have grown up in the southern part of Manitoba in a small town till i was of age, then in a smaller town and out on acreages till just recently. Not till i took this new job 4 years ago and moved into the limits of a town, did i really understand the freedom that short drive everyday gave me.
Smile makes others wonder what you are up to