An interesting Model 8 with alleged Texas Ranger connections

Posts about the Model 8
Hardrada55

An interesting Model 8 with alleged Texas Ranger connections

Post by Hardrada55 »

Saw this interesting Model 8 at the Midland Horseshoe arena gun show today. This is not a Peace Officer Equipment Company detachable 15 round magazine. It looks like somebodies attempt to make a similar type of magazine system, but without the ability to detach it from the receiver. The barrel is also shortened pretty radically, as is the stock. The stock is covered in old leather stitched together to hold it snug. There is also a Lyman 41r peep sight. The gun was supposed to belong to an alleged Texas Ranger by the name of W. L. Barler (?). The dealer was not the owner and did not have a price listed as he was trying to "find out what it was and what it was worth."

I only grabbed these two pictures, probably in contravention of several gun show rules. Altogether an interesting impression. I can't figure out if I'm looking at something recently done or that was done 20 years ago or 60 years ago. I don't think this was done recently. The gun is in .30 Rem.
Last edited by Hardrada55 on Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
81police

Re: An interesting Model 8 with alleged Texas Ranger connections

Post by 81police »

Hardrada55,

Thank you so much for taking photographs of this rifle. This is really interesting!

It's funny because the magazine looks to have the side spring from the original 5 rounder. Also there is a block added between the trigger guard and magazine, similar to Remington's prototype detachable magazines. But unlike the Remington prototypes this one doesn't have the magazine release in that little block. Really unusual man.

That barrel length must be right around 16" because the Verschneider carbines are 17" and this definitely looks shorter to the eye. I'd agree with you too that this looks like something done a long time ago. I'd have loved to talk to the fellow about it.

Cool find, wish you would have bought it!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Hardrada55,

Thanks for posting the pictures. I agree with 81police's comments. That is a very early model 8. I noticed that the stock has been broken and pinned. I wonder if that is the result of rapid firing.

This picture definitely proves that the original owner had the idea before I came up with my carbine with the POE magazine. When Pete and I discussed my idea, he said he had not seen one with a large removeable magazine. I think the picture you have provided would lead me to believe that this magazine was not removeable. Like 81police said, you can see the side spring on the magazine.

I sent you an email about my carbine and hope that you can post it on the Vintage site.

Regards,

jack1653
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Rules were made to be broken - thanks for the taking the pictures and posting them for us. An interesting piece for sure.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine