dating my grandfather's Model 8

Posts about the Model 8
STLmodel8

dating my grandfather's Model 8

Post by STLmodel8 »

Hey All, I recently started using an old gun hidden deep in my dad's gun closet. After a little investigation I found out that its a Model 8. I'm interested to learn more about it and how old it is.

I've taken photos of all the stamps and markings. The serial number is 3986, which would lead me to think that is from 1907. However the barrel is stamped with a patent dated 1911, so I'm confused.

It also has some markings DZ 3 and AZ3.

Any ideas would be much appreciated! I also have more photos. THANKS!
Attachments
photo-9.JPG
photo-9.JPG (107.17 KiB) Viewed 6040 times
photo-8.JPG
photo-8.JPG (126.69 KiB) Viewed 6041 times
jack1653

Re: dating my grandfather's Model 8

Post by jack1653 »

Hey STLmodel8,

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you join us. Your Model 8, 3986, is indeed a 1907. The codes which you provided are called barrel codes. Remington did not start putting barrel codes on rifles until 1920-21 or thereabouts. Your codes are factory codes indicating that the rifle was returned to the factory for some sort of repair. The rifle was returned to the factory in March of 1931, AZ3, and again in Septermber of 1931, DZ3. I hope the information is helpful.

It appears that your rifle has a scope mounted on it. Can you tell us what kind it is? :?: There are some additional threads on the forum about scopes if you have any questions.

We appreciate the pictures and if you have additional that you would like to share please feel to post. :D if there is anything else you want to know, just ask. There are a lot of guys who can provide information about the Remington's.

Regards,

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

STLmodel8,

Welcome to the forums, we're glad you found us (and that Model 8!) :D

The fact that your patent date on the barrel jacket is 1911 would suggest the jacket was replaced by the factory during one of the two dated repair codes. That's a logical guess but something we can't know for absolute certainty.

Hope this helps!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
STLmodel8

Post by STLmodel8 »

Wow! How can you tell the exact month and year just from a 3 digit barrel code?

I just spoke to my dad and he had no idea that the gun was that old. I've been using it to hunt whitetail deer this year.

Do you think it has any value? I've read that scope mounts significantly decrease the value. I was not able to find the scope thread on the forum

Here are a few more pictures.
Attachments
photo-10.JPG
photo-10.JPG (124.7 KiB) Viewed 6013 times
photo-9.JPG
photo-9.JPG (121.68 KiB) Viewed 6014 times
STLmodel8

Post by STLmodel8 »

And THANK YOU for the info. Its very interesting.

-STLmodel8
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey STLmodel8,

Thanks for posting the extra pictures. That is pretty good looking rifle and to think it is 104 years old. :o

There is nothing magic about telling you the age and return to factory codes. You can normally tell a repair or return because the letters will be followed with the number "3". To learn more about the Date Codes, look on the topic page for "Q&A About the 8/81. In that section the very first thread,Remington Date Codes", will direct you to another page for an explanation.

To find the thread about the scopes, look on the topic page for the section "Pics of Your 8&81". In that section there is a thread "M8/81 Scoped".

It is difficult to determine value. There are a couple of factors that I use and you may find others have different criteria. There are collectibles and shooters. One hopes that the collectibles are shooters but the collectors choose not to shoot them. The barrel codes could be a deterent to collectors in some instances. Multiple codes could signify an issue for collectors. It probably doesn't bother a shooter one bit. In my opinion, the scopes or tapping the receiver is a negative but will say that there are many that have scopes. The scoped rifles tend to cost less than the non-scoped. A good rule of thumb to use in determining value is based on "original issue" or "alterations". Alterations can be recoil pads, slings or any change to the original. Again these do not effect the "shooter", but are often seen as negatives to the collector.

As to the value of your rifle, you will not find many of the guys setting price on another man's rifle. Again, there are variables as I mentioned above and when you add emotional value, you are entering a whole new area. If you want to see what other similar rifles are selling for, you can always check some web sites like Gun Broker and Auction Arms.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

jack1653
Last edited by jack1653 on Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

STLmodel8,

Welcome to the forum....nice looking rifle. What caliber is it? I also have a 1907 Model 8 in 30-30 Rem. This is a neat forum, with a lot of guys with a LOT of knowledge.

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Your scope looks like a later Weaver K2.5, probably from the mid-1950s, maybe even after that. That scope model was first produced by Weaver in 1947, but the windage and elevation knob design was somewhat different on the early ones. It should have some markings stamped on it. In any event, it is much younger than the rifle.