My First Model 8

Posts about the Model 8
Wildgoose

My First Model 8

Post by Wildgoose »

I sent off the money for my first M8 last week. I have two M81's but have wanted to pick up a shooter M8 for some time. Being on a budget its taken quite a while to find one that looked to be functional but at the same time had a few "issues" that would keep the price down. The one I am waiting for has had the butt stock modified for use with a tang sight and the sight itself has gone missing of course. It also has a replacement rear barrel sight that is some type of folding leaf arrangment. The rest of the gun looked to be pretty good overall though. We shall see. At any rate I am going to be on the hunt for any type of tang sight to replace the one that was on it. Most likely a Redfield from the looks of it. But any one of them would be OK for me. So, if anyone on the list has a line on one of the tang peep sights for the 8/81's I would be interested in hearing about it. There is always the chance that the rifle will have some other issues that I will be dealing with but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.
Thanks
DWalt

Re: My First Model 8

Post by DWalt »

I can nearly guarantee there will be other issues. I don't think I ever bought any used gun (and some new ones too) that didn't have at least one.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

I have had the opposite experience from DWalt. I too try to buy cheap from forums, GB, AA, etc. - maybe one out of 20 is not exactly as described (has an issue) but even so, everyone but one has been shootable from the gitgo. (Can't come close to saying that about my gunshow experiences.)

Best of luck with it, keep us posted.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Wildgoose, There were folding leaf sights made by King and Lyman and others that were used in conjunction with tang sights because they could fold down flat when using tang sight, since your tang sight is missing this was likely the setup on your rifle, these older folding sights can be very pricey. Jerry
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

sighthound wrote:Wildgoose, There were folding leaf sights made by King and Lyman and others that were used in conjunction with tang sights because they could fold down flat when using tang sight, since your tang sight is missing this was likely the setup on your rifle, these older folding sights can be very pricey. Jerry
Very true Jerry. I paid $125 for this one at a gun show and felt that I recieved a really good deal. I most likely won't be that luckey again. I put it on my M81 300 Savage and it has worked out really well. I am sure the M8 was set up for the tang sight, the butt stock modifications speak to that pretty plainly. It was most likely taken off and used on another gun or sold off due its higher value compared to the modified rifle. So, hopefully I can find another tang sight but in the mean time the gun is usable with the folding leaf set up. Just not the best for my old eyes.