rem81auto

Beautiful ....

Post by rem81auto »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :shock:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =246960178
Sarge756

Re: Beautiful ....

Post by Sarge756 »

The Roy Weatherby influence rears it`s ugly head. I`m just amazed it didn`t have the signature piano high gloss plasticized finish.Considering the replacement stock would run about $400 and a proper buttplate $25-$45. Think I`ll send him an offer of $225 and let him keep his beautiful stock. He can make a lamp out of it or use it to scare away demons.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Hardrada55

Post by Hardrada55 »

OMG. inlaid with what? plastic? I usually don't mind the 1950s white line stuff, but this is too much by far.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Must be a PHD Bubba, Jerry
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Wow, rough crowd tonight. Obviously you guys don't recognize the famous Bev Doolittle gun - pretty sure the third Indian is carrying it.
Bev Doolittle  70.jpg
Bev Doolittle 70.jpg (64.3 KiB) Viewed 10554 times
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
f.a.b.

Post by f.a.b. »

WHAT A GREAT GUN !!! I WOULD SNAP THIS BABY UP IF IT ONLY HAD A COMPASS IN THE STOCK
WELL YOU JUST CAN'T HAVE IT ALL !!!!
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Update on the "Beautiful" Mod 8. After two months it has a bid.Looks like it will sell for at least the opening of $549.00. Old car salesman gave me some sage advice when I started pushing Pontiacs in the early seventies, "Just remember son there`s an ass for every seat".Appears it is true .
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

So... getting a new gun Joe? ;)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
texassako

Post by texassako »

Beauty is definitely is in the eye of the beholder. I don't remember which issue it was, but I was looking through some online '50's era Guns magazines on another website that showed how to do that on any model gun with layout and material ideas with examples.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

texassako, better send Sarge756 a PM with the info for that other website, likely he'll be wanting to do this on a few to create a family this winter.
texassako

Post by texassako »

Page 36 : http://jeffersonian.name/g1959/G0759.pdf . Everyone should give it a try ;) . http://jeffersonian.therealgunguys.com/gunsmag.html has several years of them with such scary topics as how to sporter your Enfield, a Mauser broomhandle turned into a carbine(which is actually cool looking IMO), but mostly good ones for history, a laugh (knit forestock cover anyone?), and some tips still relevant today.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Cool sites, two of my favorite mags - thanks for sharing it.

"Knit forestock cover" (got to be careful with the spelling on this one!)
Joe you need a glossy of this for your wall - a help for recreating it. ;)
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Thanks for the link texas, I can't resist buying any of the old Bubba-gunsmith handbooks at garage sales. My favorite is the Home Gunsmith Digest by Tommy Bish. Nothing like a Winchester Carbine in a Mannlicher stock with crappy plastic inlay. It really was a different world back then.
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
imfuncity

Re: Beautiful or ...

Post by imfuncity »

If I get one these, can I pull out the knit bell bottoms and plastic bead choker - I believe the wife has made sure the flowery shirt has been permanently "misplaced".