Model 8 Truth be known ...

Posts about the Model 8
rem81auto

Model 8 Truth be known ...

Post by rem81auto »

I bought this rifle last week because I thought the rear sight was very cool. I didn't pay much so at least for me the decision was easy. I will remove it replace with another factory rear sight and most likely sell it. I will not charge extra for the custom buttstock :shock:

The sight has no markings but I suspect is Lyman made. I am hoping someone can confirm the maker .... has anyone ever seen another. tks for your opinions in advance. Dennis
81police

Re: Model 8 Truth be known ...

Post by 81police »

Hopefully somebody in here can help solve the mystery. I don't know the mfg of the site, there's one pictured in our "sights and scopes" gallery which I attached below. This one looks similar. I seem to think Circle B Bob has this sight too?
Attachments
8-sght.jpg
8-sght.jpg (15.9 KiB) Viewed 7404 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Marbles rear sight?
KEN
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

Cam, you are welcome to use one of these sight pictures for the gallery if you want to. Dennis
81police

Post by 81police »

Thank you Dennis! I think we will, I'd like to find out the mfg so we can tag it. Somebody is bound to know.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

I have a sight like that but with the longer base. I was told it was a "California Buckhorn" (Lyman 6 R81?). I've run across others of various lengths made by different companies.

In Old Gunsights and Rifle Scopes by Nick Stroebel, pg 54 Marble's #65 "Full Buckhorn" is shown with a full length base, in the next column under "Sporting Leaf Sights", #69R Flat top and #70R Semi-Buckhorn are pictured with just a dovetail base. On pg 41 Lyman #6 R81 has a similar mount and Lyman 26A (under Winchester) has the Full Buckhorn. (As good and as complete at his book is, I do have at least one original sight and scope that Mr. Stroebel missed, I'm sure he missed others.)

IMHO it would seem likely that there would have also been Full Buckhorns on just a dovetail base - made by any number of companies: King, Lyman, Marble, etc.. Plus "back then" there were also a lot of modifications done by competent gunsmiths "and others".

For my $.02, along with everything else and the set screw in the bottom, right, back corner, I go with it being a Marble. And (seeing that it has already been buggered some), I would very carefully remove it to see if there is a name hidden.

Enjoy, a great find.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

Here's another sight I found and it's basically the same as the sight posted above. The sight is clearly marked on both blade and base " Lyman ". Dennis
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

At one time I had a rifle with a full buckhorn sight which I remember as being essentially identical to yours, but it was marked Marble. That was many years and many guns ago, but I remember the sight pretty well.
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

Dennis,

The top tang butt plate is a rather rare item also, according to Henwood's book.

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

Hi Clint, tks. I always learn something here. Dennis