Need firing pin in Alaska

Posts about the Model 8
Alan James

Need firing pin in Alaska

Post by Alan James »

Well all: Finally recieved my Model 8 rifles.30Rem 51824 barrel code PT,June 1926?.35Rem 50376 barrel code RR3 Nov 1924? I think I got that part of it correct.Have been working up loads ,plain base,gas check,and jacketed.Finally started to do the shooting portion to see what works or not . The 30 did quite well,found that I will have to get one of the athletic head straps for glasses too many front site posts out there with all the squinting and trying to keep the lens up with one hand. Loaded up the 35 and got all ready and it let loose with a loud CLICK. Have been firing a few rounds when working up a load and both have been functioning fine. Pulled the bolt out and the tip of the firing pin is gone. It measures 2.764.Also I noticed that the firing pin pin is hump backed is this normal or did someone put it in wrong?Free floating no return spring. So HELP does anyone have a firing pin and firing pin pin for sale? These are really fun guns have put about 30 rounds through each.Will post picts when the wife gets back from Barrow. Thank You. Al in Fairbanks
Sarge756

Re: Need firing pin in Alaska

Post by Sarge756 »

Alan,
I saw them available on Wisnersinc.com for $22 .Check with them to see if in stock.If nada Remcrazy had one on Gunbroker that sold last month but pictured two on the listing.You might check with him to see if he has one available. Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Or try "Jack First". We had an extractor shear off the retaining lug and they had an extractor.
KEN
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

I don't know if this would work with M8/81, but I have successfully repaired broken firing pin tips by welding and shaping a new tip by grinding. Helps if you know the original firing pin length. I've also made up new firing pins, but some would be tough to duplicate - again, I've never seen a M8/81 firing pin, so I don't know much about what could be done.
Alan James

Post by Alan James »

Thank you everyone for the firing pin replys.I didn't know they were put there on so many gun parts sites. Have two firing pins ordered should be here in a 4-5 days. thank you all