a painted 8

Posts about the Model 8
81police

a painted 8

Post by 81police »

A coworker brought in this Model 8 in .25Rem. It started out as just a parts gun that was in rough shape. He decided since there were already several scope mount holes and it didnt have any collector value, he had it redone. The metal has had some kind of paint job and the wood he rubbed with emu oil, nothing but a huntin' gun now!
Attachments
painted 8 profile.jpg
painted 8 profile.jpg (293.21 KiB) Viewed 3130 times
the painted 8.jpg
the painted 8.jpg (229.94 KiB) Viewed 3130 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
DWalt

Re: a painted 8

Post by DWalt »

From the photos, it is my guess that it was not actually painted. Rather, it may well have one of the baked-on Teflon-type finishes (there are several types available). I suggested using this finish on a previous posting, if one has a non-collector beater-condition M8/81. I have finished a large number of both rifles and pistols this way. It works great on either anodized aluminum or phosphated (Parkerized) steel. The finish does not adhere too well on bare steel. It works great on military weapons originally having a Parkerized finish. I have Parkerized blued steel guns prior to application also. It even works well on some plastics, and I have refinished many M16 (not AR-15, but the same thing) plastic stocks and handguards this way - beadblast, spray coat, and bake.

Coating requires application by spray gun (just like paint), followed by baking at about 300 degrees to cure it. If one is starting with a bare blued steel gun, it should be bead-blasted, Parkerized, and then coated. It's simple to do, but all of that requires equipment the average gun owner may not have. There are places that do this type of finish commercially (but not necessarily cheaply), and it is available in a rainbow of colors should one desire a yellow and purple rifle. The final finish is very durable and corrosion resistant, and in fact some commercial guns are finished in essentially the same way (e.g., some Beretta military pistols and AR-15 clones have a similar finish).
imfuncity

Re: a painted 8

Post by imfuncity »

Looks very nice. Sometimes it is a real pleasure to have just a shooter that one can play with without worrying about resale, etc.

But, please :!: ignore DWalt's yellow & purple comment - my old eyes just couldn't handle it. Once, I played golf with a guy who had red and white checkered shoes, that was bad enough - at least they cost him a skin on a par 3! :twisted:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine