Reuminations on a 32Rem

Posts about the Model 8
Wildgoose

Reuminations on a 32Rem

Post by Wildgoose »

I am looking at a beater Model 8 in 32Rem. I have have so far kind of stayed away for this caliber as it seems to be a bit redundant. Can it really do much more than the 30Rem? Anyway if I do pick this rifle up it will be as a shooter and possible parts donor mainly due to the fact that it has been much messed with over the years. Reblued, wood inexpertly refinished,barrel jacket dents and its in 32Rem. All this is keeping the price pretty low but it is a functional gun. I have read here but cant seem to find the posts that one can simply make 32 brass out of 30 by running it through a 32 sizer die. If whom ever it was that commented on this could enlighten me it would be greatly appreciated.
DWalt

Re: Reuminations on a 32Rem

Post by DWalt »

There is, for all intents and purposes, no ballistic performance difference between the .30 Rem and the .32 Rem. .32 Rem empty brass is harder to find than .30 Rem, also, the correct bullets may be a little harder to locate (same as used with the .32 Winchester Special). You can indeed simply neck-expand .30 Rem cases to .32. I load .30 Rem using .30-30 dies (with the FL sizing die backed off slightly to preserve the proper shoulder angle), and I expect you could use .32 WS dies for .32 Rem in exactly the same way, as .32 Rem dies are likely to be somewhat more expensive than a set for the .32 WS.

Look at http://shop.reedsammo.com/category.sc?categoryId=29 for .32Rem cases.

I did a previous posting here regarding making .30 Rem cases out of .30-30 brass, but it's best if you have access to a small lathe if you wish to do so. However, new factory .30 Rem cases are fairly readily available for about .50 each.