newbie question...........

Posts about the Model 8
kaintuck

newbie question...........

Post by kaintuck »

Just got a 1949 81remmington in 300savage. she shoots great, no 'bubba' effects, but she won't throw the empty's out upon firing. after each shot, i rack the bolt and she will throw them clear....when i break her down, the spring action recoil of the barrel assembly seems in fine working order~ anybody have a idea?
bolt face good, extractor,good, smooth chamber.............?????????????????????
p.s.
i have a 35 81 also, a real should-buster....this gal is MUCH easier on the old shoulders.......
"do something kind today"
imfuncity

Re: newbie question...........

Post by imfuncity »

I have yet to fix one, but from what I understand, it is likely the spring in the magazine is in backwards. Very common - even Remeington shows it in backwards in one of their pictures. (I have a rifle that needs that fix, have to disassemble to do it and I just haven't yet.)

Welcome and enjoy.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
kaintuck

Post by kaintuck »

well, it feeds the rounds from the mag, and ejects fired round....only if i rack them manually.......no problems of "nose down syndrom" :?: :idea:
kaintuck

Post by kaintuck »

[quote="imfuncity"]I have yet to fix one, but from what I understand, it is likely the spring in the magazine is in backwards.

well, i looked at it, and i removed the barrel assembly, pushed on one side of the follower, and moved it forward and out, turned the spring around, and put the follower back in,put the barrel assm back on.......we'll go to the range and see if that makes a difference~ :idea:
gramps35

Post by gramps35 »

With the gun assembled and the bolt closed, press on the crown. It may take a little force, but not too much. Does the barrel move back into the jacket?

Does the barrel cycle back when it is fired?