Remington Model 8 serial number:

Posts about the Model 8
rlg2000

Remington Model 8 serial number:

Post by rlg2000 »

Question: I recently inherited a Remington Model 8 .35 from my grandfather’s estate. He was an avid hunter/ game warden so he had a scope mount installed on the rifle. My question is: where do I find the serial number? The only numbers I can see are .35 and a faded #7 in front of the magazine assembly.
Attachments
Remington Model 8.jpg
Remington Model 8.jpg (142.18 KiB) Viewed 4810 times
imfuncity

Re: Remington Model 8 serial number:

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome to the land of old humpbacks.

Don't get toooooo excited just yet (and since your picture is a bit blurry) but... if that is the only number on the receiver and/or barrel (sometimes there is a matching number on the under side of the barrel collar just in front of the receiver) you may have the 7th Model 8 ever made! :!: :shock: What a cool find and treasure regardless!
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

if your rifle is #7, the liklihood would be that the serial number would be centered not offset to the right as pictured. You may check the barrel jacket head just in front of that serial number or remove the barrel assembly and see if there are any other serial number markings. Removing the stock should show serial numbers on the tang, the trigger plate, and inside the stock.

Sounds like a real cool piece of family history!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Picture is not clear but looks like rifle may have been buffed and reblued which might indicate missing and offset number and coincidently I saw a number 7 special grade rifle at Boise gun show about 2 years ago. Was a walkin, bought by a dealer for $350 before I saw it, sob,sob, this dealer later told me he traded it at Vegas show.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

RLG,
Indeed you want to take off the forearm and look for letters on the right side of the barrel collar - I should have mentioned that earlier.

Sighthound,
Know the feeling, I turned down a first year a few years back that would have been a bargin now!
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine