A lot questions from a beginner

Posts about the Model 8
jarrodeu

A lot questions from a beginner

Post by jarrodeu »

Hello, I do not own one of these early Remington auto rifles but I am thinking I might want to get one. I'm pretty sure the caliber I want is the 35 Remington and I want it to be checkered.

Since I am thinking of having just one, am I correct in assuming the one to get would be the Model 8 instead of the Model 81?

So I am coming to the conclustion that some standard model 8's came checkered but all the higher grades were checkered. Are standard grade checkered models very
common?

What would be a good price for a nice checkered Model 8 in 35 Remignton?

What are some things I should watch out for when contemplating a purchase of one?

I think I read somewhere that firing pins are somewhat fragile, could I even find a replacement firing pin if I broker one? What about other replacement parts?

How accurate are they? What kind of groups at 100 yards?

And my final question, why is the barrel jacketed?

Thank you in advance,
Jarrod
kenhwind

Re: A lot questions from a beginner

Post by kenhwind »

Well I'll start to answer your questions.
Yes the Standard Grade could be gotton with checkered wood.
The Model 8 C which I have is checkered, but has a higher grade of stock or "Deluxe".

The .35 Remington is a nice cartridge in these rifles, so is the .300 Savage. I have a Model 8C in .35 Remington and a Model 81 in .300 Savage.

The barrel jacket houses the recoil and buffer springs as this firearm is recoil operated, just like the Browning A5, Remington M 11, and 11-48. The barrel and bolt recoil together and is known as long recoil, as opossed to the Colt-Browning 1911 Pistol which is short recoil.

Prices vary, some are overpriced, some aren't. A real nice Model like you are considering would run about $500 -$800 IMO, and this is only a guess. There may be a forum member that has an "extra" one they might want to sell.

The general cocsenus is that most of these rifles shoot quite well as far as acurracy.
KEN
81police

Post by 81police »

Great responses Ken.

jarrodeu,

the thing I'd look out for is a drilled & tapped receiver, this is usually not desirable unless you require a scope.

Purchasing a Model 8 or an 81 is just preference really. I personally like the grip angle of the Model 81 over the 8 (even the semi pistol grip 8). The Model 81 is later in production and by assumption your average 81 would likely have less miles on it than your average 8.

Standard "A" grade Model 8's (and 81's) with factory checkering are not common. Aftermarket checkering is frequently encountered.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jarrodeu

Post by jarrodeu »

Thanks for your responses.

What kind of premium should I expect to pay for a higher grade (so it has checkering) model over a standard model 8?

Jarrod
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hi Jarrod,

Welcome to the forum. What to pay is a common question to newcomers.The premium is a tough question to answer. There are so many variables that go into setting the value or premium of any rifle. The quality of the finish, whether the checkering is factory or done by a competitent craftsman, how crisp and sharp is the checkering. Then you have the type of sights that are on the rifle. The quality and condition of the metal. Has the rifle seen a lot of use?

The only thing that I will tell you is that if you want a checkered rifle, then pay the price for getting one and don't worry if it is a premium. The checkered rifles don't appear on the scene very often and collectors will buy them quickly. If everything on the rifle is in good to excellent condition what ever you pay will be worth it. When it comes right down to determining what to pay, no one can tell you, you will know.

Good Luck,

jack1653
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Jack, I was wondering how you would answer that. Good answer. Like someone said regarding collecting rifles and maybe paying a bit much, "I didn't pay too much, I just bought it too soon."
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine