Reloading for 30 Remington.

Posts about the Model 8
aumudrun

Reloading for 30 Remington.

Post by aumudrun »

Does anyone have some good reloads for the 30 Remington?
45guy

Re: Reloading for 30 Remington.

Post by 45guy »

Reloads or load data? I'm fixing to crank out 100 rounds this weekend.
aumudrun

Post by aumudrun »

I was wondering if anyone had some favorite or accurate loads. I use the 30-30 data. So far I have loaded 170 gr bullets with 32 gr 4831. Its my first load.
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

Like you I am just getting started on the .30Rem. I am going to stick with 150 grain Hornady RN and BLC(2) powder. I have had good luck with this combination in 30-30 lever guns in the past. So far I have only test shot my 31 Woodsmaster with the open sights to be sure it was going to function OK. That done I am now going to start up from the 33 grian load I test fired with. I am also going to have to add a scope, just cant see the factory sights well enough for good bench shooting to test loads. My rifle came with a scope mount already attached so its an option without having to modify an untouched gun. I agree with the guys that feel leaving the orginal rifles undrilled is best as there are plenty of them around that have been. Must say I am really enjoying playing with this old gun. As the tesing goes along I will post what I find out. The rifle was minute of deer right off the bat but it will be fun to see if it gets any better with a load that has more speed.
aumudrun

Post by aumudrun »

What a small world it is. I also love to shoot my Model 8, but am having trouble with the sights. (They dont seem to be able to focus.) I have a tang sight comming to see if that helps focus. Other wise I will have to go to optics.
:ugeek: Where would one get 150 gr round nose bullets?.
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

I use Hornadys 150 grain RN #3035 .308" that is made for the 30-30 Win. They have an exposed lead nose and a crimping groove. You can get them most anywhere bullets are sold. I buy mine at either Scheels or Cabelas.
I have the same issue as you with buckhorn style sights. The shorter the sight radius the worse it is. I cant see the front sight post well enough to get a repeatable picture and string the shots both left and right. Really opens up the groups even off the bench. I have gone to using a rear peep on some of my lever guns and it cures the problem. Should work nicely on the Model 8 if you can find a set for it. I have gone deer hunting with my 95 Win. with good results using the peep. As my Model 81 came with a scope mount it will be easier to fix the issue that way than to find a peep set up.
RJSPORT

Post by RJSPORT »

I load mostly cast bullets for all my Remingtons and here are the best 30 loads...

Full loads with Lyman 31141 bullet lubed with Carnuba Red Lube
W/W 748 28 grains, CCI primer and Remington cases.
The same load works well with a LEE 180 gr RN bullet, but is not as good a hunting bullet.
IMR 4198

For mid range practice, you will have to work the action by hand

31141 bullet and 10.0 of Unique powder Remington cases and CCI primers. Very accurate and pleasant to shoot.

For small game Lee 115 grain Soup can bullet libed with Caruba Red 6.0 of Trail Boss powder in mixed cases with CCI Pistol primer. Hits dead on at 25 yards with standard 100 yard hunting load zero.

For full loads IMR 4198 powder will also work well start at 22 grains and work up till the actions works 100%. In my gun 24 grains works fine and gives 2000 fps with groups under 3" at 100 yards.

The cast loads will give you about 5000 psi less pressure than jacketed loads and no bore wear. Factory accuracy and power are easy to duplicate and with the light loads you can use your gun for squirrel and rabbits for off season practice.
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

RJSPORT,
What alloy are you casting the 31141's out of?
RJSPORT

Post by RJSPORT »

They are all cast from 50/50 wheel weights and lino. THey go in and out of deer but from the exit hole I must be getting good expansion. In wet pack they are running 50 cal or better.