Why I love my beater model 8...

Posts about the Model 8
45guy

Why I love my beater model 8...

Post by 45guy »

I took my cobbled together model 8 out this evening. The 81 year old rifle with 50ish year old 150 grain round nose soft points performed well enough at a measured 196 yards. Not my finest shooting but I'll take it given the 20mph r-l crosswind.
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
Hardrada55

Re: Why I love my beater model 8...

Post by Hardrada55 »

I think that's pretty fine shooting at 200 yards. Is that gun a .30 or a .32?
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
45guy

Post by 45guy »

It's a .30, made April of '29.
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

I'm thinking that looks like "minute of deer" to me. Agreed, good shooting indeed!! :o I'd be happy w/ that at 100yds no wind.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

I think that's fantastic for the conditions and the old spingpole! Love the pictures, certainly looks like you had a good time at it. I bet your front post covered most of the target?
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
45guy

Post by 45guy »

It did, but I was using a good bit of "Kentucky windage!" Also I found that a nickle is just about the right height to replace my missing elevator at 200. ;)
J. Riekers

Post by J. Riekers »

Looks like pretty good shootin' at that distance
www.TARSporting.com
co-owner
Professional Hunter

buy Joe's books: www.huntingtheintroducedspecies.com
45guy

Post by 45guy »

And 300... I ventured out into the winter wonderland for some more shooting with my last four rounds of factory ammo. 2 in the dirt and this less than stellar 2 on the paper. May have to jump on one of the tang sights on flea-bay...

imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Iron sights at 300yd! How did you even see it? I'd say that is still some fine shooting or lobbing.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
45guy

Post by 45guy »

It's really not that bad, I shot to 500 on the Marine Corps KD course and in a couple of surplus rifle matches.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Easy, YOU say! I'd think that front sight would cover the target? (Obviously I've never tried it.)
81police

Post by 81police »

I think thats great shooting, appreciate you taking the time to share with us. Semper Fi.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
45guy

Post by 45guy »

It's all about a good tight position and natural point of aim. Your not shooting the "hair off the nat's a$$, your aiming for the center of the nat's mass and consistently placing rounds into the same POA.
45guy

Post by 45guy »

And now she is gone forever. Traded off to pay my father back for all his generousity. :cry: