Going Into Africa Poster

Posts about the Model 8
DWalt

Going Into Africa Poster

Post by DWalt »

This photo of a May 1909 magazine advertisment came from Issue #477 of the International Ammunition Association, Inc. Journal, just published (Jan-Feb 2011) . May 1909 is in the early period of the Model 8's production. The same IAAJ issue also has a number of pictures on two pages of the various types and sizes of stripper clips/chargers used with the Model 8/81 showing identification characteristics of each. I have a PDF file of this article, but unfortunately it cannot be attached. If anyone wants to see it PM me. Or if there is a way to attach a PDF file, let me know.

I photoshopped the attached image a little from my former submission and it now looks a lot better.

I think it odd that the Model 8 is portrayed as being generally suitable for African game ("Big Enough for the Biggest Game"). Maybe African hunters at that time were all capable of making brain shots on charging elephants or Cape buffalo. Of course, the Model 8 would be OK for smaller plains game species and gathering pot meat.

Note also that the rifle is described only as "the Remington Autoloading Rifle," not the Model 8 or by any other designation.
Attachments
Rem8LifeAd09-01.jpg
Rem8LifeAd09-01.jpg (222.23 KiB) Viewed 6469 times
Last edited by DWalt on Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian.35

Re: Going Into Africa Poster

Post by brian.35 »

That is a neat poster.

Two model 8's went to India for a British hunting expedition in 1921http://vintagesemiautorifle.proboards.c ... thread=601
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Very cool, I had no idea they were (over) advertised for big game - great poster.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
45guy

Post by 45guy »

W.D.M. Bell was fond of 6.5x54 and 7x57, I believe .303 even made an appearance. If loaded with heavier, higher SD bullets a model 8 would be.... great?
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
J. Riekers

Post by J. Riekers »

Nowadays the only Country that you can take your 8/81 to hunt is Namibia. I've used the cartridge extensively and it is suitable for the majority of plains game, undisturbed cats and could take a buff in a pinch. Today it is not legal for dangerous game in most Countries and it was always marginal on the real big stuff. I'd still like to take mine over for a few animals.
www.TARSporting.com
co-owner
Professional Hunter

buy Joe's books: www.huntingtheintroducedspecies.com
81police

Post by 81police »

http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety. ... &gallery=7

Third row down you'll see a coworker of mine who took this Eland cow in Namibia a couple years ago. VERY COOL!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

The .303 Savage is fairly close in size and power to the .30 Remington, and had a very good reputation in its day for penetration performance on larger game using a 190 grain bullet, which was the standard in that caliber. If one wanted to use such small calibers on really large game (and I doubt many would), the best choice would be to use the heaviest FMJ/solid bullet available to get maximum penetration.

I notice the "Going Into Africa" ad shows .35 Remington labeling on the cases. If I had to use a Model 8 on African game, I would choose the .35 over any other caliber available for it in 1909. Probably not coincidentally I found regarding Teddy Roosevelt's 1909-1910 East African (now Kenya) Safari that, in addition to a number of other guns (including a sporterized '03 Springfield in .30-'06 (or maybe .30-'03) and a Winchester 1895 in .405, he ALSO took a "Remington autoloading rifle" in .35 Remington using 200 grain bullets. I would imagine the 1909 ad must have had some connection to the Roosevelt safari of the same year. Bully. Look at the shadow on the ground, left side. Could be T.R.

Quote from an article in Field and Stream magazine, August 1909 regarding the Roosevelt safari:
"Colonel Roosevelt is not handling toy weapons. A Mannlicher bolt-action in 9mm equipped with a telescopic sight was purchased in Germany. The (Holland & Holland) .450 cordite express was purchased in London, the .30 caliber U. S. Army (note: this is a 1903 Springfield) was made at the Springfield armory and converted into a sporting model, the .35 caliber autoloader was made by the Remington Arms Company, Ilion, and the .405 caliber repeater (note: this is a Model 1895) was made by the Winchester Repeating Arms Company of New Haven. The rest of the party is armed on lines somewhat similar, with the exception of a couple of Mausers." (note: There were a number of shotguns also in the battery, including Roosevelt's favorite Fox double gun.)

"The .35 Autoloading Remington, the other American rifle that Colonel Roosevelt is carrying, is an excellent weapon for all-round use. It carries a bullet of 200 grains which has a velocity of 2,000 feet a second. As it is the latest weapon on the market, it embraces all the inventions and improvements up to date. It is automatic in action, cocking and loading itself, and is charged from a clip that holds five cartridges. The most powerful automatic rifle made, it is a fine arm for jungle work and closer quarter shooting when there is danger, as one has five shots at his command by merely pulling the trigger after each shot. The rifle will be used on leopards, giraffes, and Kudu. In an emergency it could be used on hippos, elephants, and rhinos by a good shot who could place with certainty his bullets in the head or the heart."

It is unstated if Roosevelt actually used the .35 Remington or whether it was merely among the many diverse guns carried by the party. If anyone knows something more about this rifle, please respond with details. There is a new and just-published book, "Colonel Roosevelt", that details not only his 1909 safari, but also his other explorations in South America prior to WWI. I have not seen it yet, but it has received excellent reviews as a biography.

The African safari was intended to collect (i.e., kill) specimens for the Smithsonian. In this, it succeeded. as between 14,000 and 15,000 specimens were taken (including fish and birds) and sent back to the Smithsonian. There were over 200 persons in the safari party, including a number of scientists, some friends, his son Kermit, and a large group of native porters, gunbearers, etc. In today's dollars, the safari would have cost approximately $2 Million.