Variations

Posts about the Model 8
ROBOPUMP

Variations

Post by ROBOPUMP »

It was said at some point that all Model 81's were made exactly the same, but the model 8 was more like the Harley Davidsons and no two were made alike.

See auction
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =205563295

Notice the three scews in the bottom tang. I have several 8's with the semi-pistal grip and none have three screws in the bottom tang. The middle screw is the one that goes through the stock and screws into the boss on the upper tang. The third screw at the bottom of the tang must be only a wood screw into the wood. I have several of these rifles with the semi-pistol grip and they only have the middle screw which is the tang screw. I do have one that looks like there is an area where the third screw would have been, but not drilled. I think that the trigger plate was a forging and the same one was used for the straight stock and the semi-pistol grip. They were just bent more for the semi-pistol grip. The staight stock would have had the tang screw at the furthermost position on the tang, but the semi-pistol grip required that the tang screw needed to be move closer in.

So, I am thinking that this particular rifle was drilled for the straight stock by misstake and later ajusted not to waste a trigger plate.

Maybe some of you can check your rifles and let us know if there are others out there with the three scew configuration.

ROB