To buy or not to buy, that's the question M8, .32 cal

Posts about the Model 8
fastraver

To buy or not to buy, that's the question M8, .32 cal

Post by fastraver »

New to the site for posting, been doing a lot of reading on the site. I am from the great white north, aka, Canada. Any ways, I own 2 m8, a 30 and 35. I have found a 32, but the gentlemen that is selling it, is asking 750 CDN $, do you guys think that is to much? what is your option? Also here is a pic or two of it.

http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u331 ... C03473.jpg

http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u331 ... C03475.jpg
jack1653

Re: To buy or not to buy, that's the question M8, .32 cal

Post by jack1653 »

Hey fastraver,

Welcome to the forum. Good to have a visit from our neighbor to the north. Yours is a familar question and you will find our answers pretty much the same as others who have asked.

It is dificult to tell from the pictures so what I say s based on what I can see. The wood appears to have been refinished. If it has been sanded are the edges where it meets the metal still sharp and crisp? I cannot tell enough about the metal finish to render a good answer. If you have had your hands on it, you should be able to tell the condition of the metal as to whether the bluing is good, has a patina, rusted, etc. Check the bore to make certain it is clean, shiney and not rusty or pitted. Are all the parts numbered to the gun? Pull the forearm and break the gun down to check how clean it is. How does the metal appear under the forearm compared to what the rest of the metal looks like. Are ther any cracks in the forearm? Check the stock for cracks particularly around the top and bottom of the tangs. It appears to have a tang butt plate. Does the butt plate fit well to the stock? I can't see enough detail, but it appears the bottom tang of the receiver is showing below the stock which may be a result of over sanding. Is this the original stock or a replacement? If you are able to remove the stock, you should find the serial number stamped in the top tang recess in the stock.

I'll stop here so as not to overwhelm or discourage you. The bottom line is that most of us will not indicate what a fair price because that is up to the buyer. In most cases the seller has already determined what he must have to sell the gun and that mkes negotiating difficult. If it is something you really want and you can find positive answers to the question above, then it may be a good deal. From what some of our other candian members have said, these rifles are hard to come by in your country and that may be reason enough to pay the price to get one. I do not know the current exchange rate for the Canadian currency so I don't know what your 750 translates to the dollar. You can check prices on the Gunbroker.com web site to get some comparison prices. You can find model 8 .32 ranging from $350 to $600 for most rifles. Occasionally you will find very good condition rifles in the $700-$800 range.

I hope this helps. If you can give us more information, you may be able to get some advice on price from other members. Good Luck and keep us posted on your decision.

Regards,

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

Sound advice Jack.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
fastraver

Post by fastraver »

Here are more pic's of it. The current owner, says these ones are very rare and very hard to come by. As well it is in 95 to 99 % con. hmmm this is starting to sound a little to good to be true. As well I have asked him a number of questions and he hasn't given me a straight answer either. I am thinking of passing this up. but here are more pic's any ways.
Attachments
DSC03532.JPG
DSC03532.JPG (153.7 KiB) Viewed 7206 times
DSC03529.JPG
DSC03529.JPG (144.48 KiB) Viewed 7209 times
DSC03528.JPG
DSC03528.JPG (132.63 KiB) Viewed 7207 times
fastraver

Post by fastraver »

couple more.
Attachments
DSC03534.JPG
DSC03534.JPG (135.54 KiB) Viewed 7208 times
DSC03541.JPG
DSC03541.JPG (145.24 KiB) Viewed 7206 times
DSC03539.JPG
DSC03539.JPG (153.78 KiB) Viewed 7207 times
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

The last two I looked at were a bit over priced IMO. One was at a gun show the other at a shop, an 81 and a 8.
It looks like the stock was checkered at one time. The metal looks good with some blue wear.
Tha rear sight is worth something. If 750 CDN is like 750 US, that seems a little on the high side.
KEN
81police

Post by 81police »

That Model 8 does have the flat knob pistol grip which is uncommon but by no means rare. 95-99% condition? The stocks look far too glossy to not be refinished, quite a bit of blue wear at the carry point and at the edges. Just my 2 cents from viewing the pictures. I'd be curious if the buttstock serial number matched the rifle.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Hardrada55

Post by Hardrada55 »

Just my personal opinion, but I wouldn't be able to pay $750 for that gun. It's not 95-99% condition. The stock has been refinished. I love the flat bottom pistol grip stock...but not that much. It's still a very good looking rifle. I'd carp about every little defect and offer much less. Jack give very good advice...
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
RJSPORT

Post by RJSPORT »

I bought one here in the US in similar condition for under $400 last month. That is NOT 90% condition in my opinion and although it might be a good using gun it is not a primo collection piece. A lot will depend on what prices are where you live, but if your 750 is anything like out 750 I would give that one a pass.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

I'm with everyone else on this one. In my area 30's and 32's are not the easiest to find but they do show up and when they do they are usually the cheapest ... because of the obsolete caliber? GB has had several sell for 400 and under this year.

Clincher for me (in addition to several other comments by the seller) your statement that you are not getting straight answers from the seller. IMHO don't walk away, run away!!
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine