An interesting Model 8

Posts about the Model 8
RJSPORT

An interesting Model 8

Post by RJSPORT »

I picked up a Model 8, 32 Remington in somewhat rough shape cheap recently with the idea that it would be a parts gun. Well gun in hand now i am undecided. The serial number 441xx should put it in about September of 1920, but there are no codes on the barrel jacket. The gun is all matching serial numbers including the but stock, but the stocked has cheeks. The butt plate is the steel under tang model. The rifle itself is shy most of the blue but the blue is strong under the fore stock so someone carried and used this gun a lot. They took good care of it though as the leade is good and the bore is 8-9 out of 10. Now I really don't know what to do with the gun. I bought it mainly for the Marbles tang sight and I have transfered that to my hunting rifle, but this loooks to be a smooth functioning gun with a lot of carry wear. It's almost too nice to part out. Since I have only $300 in the gun with the tang sight I may just keep this one whole.
81police

Re: An interesting Model 8

Post by 81police »

Remington didn't start using the date code system until 1921 so your rifle not having one is normal. Cheeks were done away with around 1918/1919, so yours having them could just be one of the last few with cheeks. Sounds like a good, solid rifle!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Re: An interesting Model 8

Post by imfuncity »

Sounds like you do have a NICE dilemma: a fine used rifle. I have a couple rifles that would easily fit into your description - they are fine shooters. Sounds like a keeper to me... dying to see pictures :geek:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine