Head scratcher on Gunbroker

Posts about the Model 8
9.3shooter

Head scratcher on Gunbroker

Post by 9.3shooter »

Has to me an odd serial number with Y prefix, 3 numbers, and no inspection stamps. Asked seller if any other numbers or letters were in the vicinity but he said none. It also has a .30 Rem stamped barrel ext. which makes me wonder if its a replacement as the rifle appears to be a very early one.
It also shows a top tang buttplate which I gather is not common.
Thoughts?
Hibby83

Re: Head scratcher on Gunbroker

Post by Hibby83 »

The serial number is definitely screwy/odd on that one. The only way to know would be for the seller to remove the buttstock and buttplate revealing the serial number on the tang and possibly a number on the buttplate.

If it were a legit 3 digit serial number there would be no magazine side spring, not 30 rem, not that safety, not that buttplate etc:. The barrel shroud doesn't match very early guns either. Whatever the case it looks like the parts have been on that rifle for a very long time "doesn't look pieced together within the last ?50 years? ".

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/897612373
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey fellas,
I noticed this one too. I haven’t taken time to look at Henwoods book to see if he mentioned any special serial numbers. I’m sure that there are some members who know the answer to this one.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
81police

Post by 81police »

With the evidence suggested by Hibby, I'd learn towards an old serial number alteration. I can't recall seeing many, if any, Model 8 serial numbers in that location that left the factory without proof marks above and/or below the serial number. That's very unusual. Plus the "Y" prefix that doesn't coincide with any other Model 8 serial numbers. I've seen other Model 8's with altered serial numbers (removed numbers, added numbers, etc.).
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

I would consider that gun if the price was lower. I'm sure it would clean up nicely!

One can ponder a bit of the what and why. It would be cool to know the story that Model 8 has behind it!
9.3shooter

Post by 9.3shooter »

Unless someone here bought it, we may never know. It sold.