Model 8 - Back fom the dead!

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
81police

Model 8 - Back fom the dead!

Post by 81police »

I'm posting this for Philip Gilbert who wanted to share his Model 8 story with you guys...
I was working in a scrap yard when I found half of what I thought was a military rifle from the early 1900's. I was estimating it was used from 1900 or 1910 to 1930, as I recognized the magazine from some picture I had seen in a book. I had no intention of restoring the rifle, but I did intend to bring it home and clean it up a little to be a wall hanger. I took pictures of the rusted hulk and posted them on Facebook to show my WWII reenactor friends, and a couple people told me that it was a Model 8, and posted a link to TheGreatModel8.net. I read up on the piece from the site and contacted Cam Woodall to do research on the piece. As it turned out, I had found the complete receiver end of a 1913 Remington Model 8 in .35Rem. The rounded knob on the stock has about 63 notches cut into it, presumed to indicate a kill count. I researched more, as I knew nothing about these rifles, and I purchased new (well, original) parts to replace broken parts and parts to replace those missing, and refinished my stock and re-blued the metal parts. Of course, it drives me crazy that the fore-end of a Model 8 with the same serial number as mine is lying around somewhere. But, I restored my rifle, and am going to take it to a gunsmith to make sure it is in firing condition, and I look forward to obtaining a rear-sight and taking it to the range.

Pictures provided by Philip,

BEFORE...

AFTER...

Fantastic story Philip!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
rem81auto

Re: Model 8 - Back fom the dead!

Post by rem81auto »

WOOOOOOOW, what a transformation. Philip you did a great job bringing the rifle back to life. :D
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

There was a rear sight for sale, just checked and its not there. I hope this fella got it.
KEN
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

OUTstanding!! Great job. I've got one that ... :D

Can't wait to here how it shoots.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Phillip,

Welcome to the forum. That is one fine restoration and I am sure you are proud of the results. A true labor of love. I don't think I would have tried it myself given your description and original pictures. Truely remarkable.

What year was your rifle made? Good Luck in finding what you need.

jack1653
sting75ray

Post by sting75ray »

If only that rifle could talk. Great job.
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Like the legendary Phoenix that rose from ashes, you are to be commended for restoring these "ashes" to a new viable bird that will live on and on. Congratulations on a fine example of the labor of love. Jerry
Gilbert1342

Post by Gilbert1342 »

Hello all,

It's Philip, the one who did the work on the rifle that Cam posted the story and pictures of. I finally found time to get on here and post a reply, as I've been busy with college and such things. Thanks for the compliments--I'm glad you all enjoyed my story. :) I got it to a gunsmith and got his go-ahead to shoot it, so naturally I went shooting. Someone expressed interest in seeing how it shoots, so here ya go-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCYWoYmUXg4 . I think this video is from the second time I took it shooting. In the year and a half it's been fireable I've only put 60 rounds through it.

I still don't have a rear sight so I can't comment on the accuracy. I'm hoping to someday purchase a peep sight, but I don't have the time or money at the moment. :|

Someone asked about the year it was made. The serial number on the receiver denotes late 1913, and the serial number on the shroud I bought denotes 1928. All but a few parts in the receiver end are the ones I found, and all those serial numbers match.

Again, I'm glad you all enjoyed my little story, and thanks for the compliments.

-Phil
Roger

Post by Roger »

Wow,what a great job! I sometimes do what I call low impact refurbishing work on my guns if they're in bad enuf shape but I'very never even seen a gun in that bad of shape ,let alone attempt to restore it. You can surely be proud. And I personally want to thank you for saving a model 8. It probably sounds twisted to some of you but they're more than just guns to me. I know it's a form of addiction but it's just too much fun playing with my guns. Sorry to ramble on. Great work!
Thanks for your time
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com