Picked up 1922 .35Cal Model 8 today

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
Trepang

Picked up 1922 .35Cal Model 8 today

Post by Trepang »

After over a week delay in shipping, my 1922 Model 8 in .35 Cal came in to my FFL and I was able to pick it up today.

Once I got it home I got a better look at the serial number and with some help from this forum I was able to conclusively determine it is a June 1922 model. It was advertised as a 1920 model, not that it mattered to me as long as it was before May 1934.

It is in better shape than I originally thought. No rust and the bluing is better than I expected considering it's a 98 years old, almost 99. It appears to be all original although I suspect the stock may have been refinished at some point.

Ordered a barrel bushing / barrel nut tool today so once that comes in I can give it a good cleaning and inspection before I put some rounds through it.

Gotta admit, I think this will be my new favorite rifle - a lot of history there.
Attachments
M8_2.jpg
M8_2.jpg (63.22 KiB) Viewed 4577 times
M8_1.jpg
M8_1.jpg (67.09 KiB) Viewed 4577 times
M8@J2.jpg
M8@J2.jpg (95 KiB) Viewed 4577 times
Trepang

Re: Picked up 1922 .35Cal Model 8 today

Post by Trepang »

more
Attachments
Model 8 Serial number.jpg
Model 8 Serial number.jpg (43.03 KiB) Viewed 4576 times
M8_4.jpg
M8_4.jpg (48.07 KiB) Viewed 4576 times
M8_3.jpg
M8_3.jpg (56.09 KiB) Viewed 4576 times
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Nice lookin Model 8 Trepang. When I was looking at it on GB I noticed the seller had in his heading it was a 1920 DOB, but in his description he had it was a 1922 production. I checked the serial number from the picture he supplied and saw it was a 1922 birth date. That is one of the nicest Model 8's I've seen listed for a while, that's why I was interested in it for a bit. Unless it is super dirty, I'd not tear into the rifle much as far as disassembly other than cleaning the bore. Take it out and shoot it to make sure it functions as it should. If yer interested I can PM ya several You Tube video links that give detailed disassembly/reassembly video's that were very helpful when I got my first 81. The 8 and 81 share the same dis and reassembly and share the same internals for the most part. There are a couple video's on the home page of the forum in case you haven't seen them (just click 'Home' in the upper left corner). Unless the previous owner kept the barrel and its shroud clean, both my 81's were super dirty with hard oil, weed seeds, grass particles, grime, and whatever. I read once that that is a common thing many times with the 8 and 81's, they just don't get taken down and cleaned as they should many times. The internals on my 2nd 81 were a horror to look at also as far as grime and debris, 1st 81 not to bad.

Reason I'm saying to check the rifles function by shooting it is that with my first Mod 81 (300 Savage), I broke one of my rules in dealing with a new unfamiliar firearm and did a few things with it, took it out to shoot it and had all kinds of problems with cycling. Reason----I didn't get the bolt latch and latch spring right and didn't know if there was a problem previously with the rifle or something I did. Talked with the guy I bought it from and he advised it had functioned when he had it, although he did advise he hadn't shot it alot. It was my doing, redid it right and works fine. You got a nice rifle, they're a hoot to shoot. Wish I could hunt deer in my state with them, bottle neck rifle cartridges' are a no-no. Do you reload? They're ten times more fun to shoot when ya reload yer own ammo both for cost savings and problems with ammo availability.
Last edited by Rifleman on Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trepang

Post by Trepang »

Thanks and yes that was the gun on GunBroker that was listed as a 1920. When I picked it up today I was a little bit confused. The the first character of the date stamp on the barrel was clearly a "P" but it was a lot more difficult to make out the second character. My best guess was an "N". It also had a WTT3 repair code (1948) above that.

What really threw me was I had misread the serial number table - I thought that list listed the FIRST serial number of that year not the LAST.

A member on here straightened me out and then it all made sense.

As far as cleaning it, all I planned to do was disassemble the barrel and make sure it wasn't all gummed up with old, dried oil. I ordered a barrel nut/bushing tool off a member here so I'm kind of stuck until that shows up. I have already promised myself I wasn't going to get in over my head by disassembling it too far. I do have a local gunsmith who has agreed to help if I need more expertise.

I'd be interested in any how-to videos you can direct me to. I have been on YouTube a lot lately trying to get the jest of how these guns work. My background is a lot more in the AR-15 and Mini-14 realm.

I do not reload (yet). Between Cabelas and GunBroker I have 120 rounds of 200 gr Remington .35 - more than I can foresee using for sometime. Reloading maybe something I get into in the future.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

I'll try to get the video's PM's to ya ASP! I'll just have to type the video info to ya vs having a click on link. Doin that is way past my pay grade/computer skills. Need to figure it out sometime how to do. When your rifle was on GB, I could see what appeared to be a date code on the left side, but couldn't make it out, even tried to enlarge pic, but just made it blurrier. Talked with another guy on another forum (M1 Garand's) about the serial number for a year being the last one produced vs first on a serial number/year chart. He was thinking the same as you.

If the barrel and barrel jacket are free, ie move back and forth as they should, I'd put a few rounds through it just to make sure it functions before ya take it apart. That way when you do take it apart for cleaning when you reassemble if ya maybe don't get something right you'll know it worked before ya take it apart and won't have to ponder if there was something wrong from the get-go. When you do take the barrel/barrel jacket apart, lay everything out in order so ya get it back together right. I've read they can be fussy if a part is inverted.

Also the barrel nut and barrel nut bushing located at the end of the barrel/barrel jacket can be stubborn to get off if they've not been off for a while. I had to soak one of mine with Kroil (penetrating oil) for several days and use some tough elbow grease to get it free as they are threaded on. Real care needs to be taken so the threads or the slot in the barrel jacket bushing aren't damaged. With the right tool, a little penetrate oil, little muscle, and care they will come off. I had to chuck both of mine in a padded vise as trying to turn the bushings off with my tool, I couldn't hold the barrel jacket tight enough with my hand. You can separate the receiver/barrel assembly, take off the stock and trigger guard exposing the inner receiver and parts fairly easy then use some type of gun parts cleaner to get rid of crud and then lube without taking it all apart. Care needs to be taken to fit it back together though. If ya search the forum, you'll find a lotta tips here and there on dis and reassembly also.
Trepang

Post by Trepang »

The serial number is crystal clear and easy to read as is the 1948 repair stamp. The actual date code is a little more difficult. The "P" is clear but the "N" not so much. I wouldn't be so confident it was an "N" if not for that matching up with the serial number.

On the underside, there is an "N" and some sort of symbol stamped in it, any idea what that is? Is the "N" there another indication of a 1922 manufacture date?

I can move the barrel within the jacket with my thumb so I am confident that isn't frozen up.

I will take your advise on shooting it before disassembling the barrel - you make a good point with that. If it didn't work after I took it apart, I couldn't be for sure it wasn't something I had done.

Looking into the action and the magazine, it appears clean - not spotless but it at least looks like it has been maintained.

I appreciate the help.
Attachments
Model 8 Serial number.jpg
Model 8 Serial number.jpg (43.03 KiB) Viewed 4550 times
Model 8 date code.jpg
Model 8 date code.jpg (48.79 KiB) Viewed 4550 times
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

I'll PM ya the video info today, ya should have it before the sun sets.

The stampings you see on the bottom of your receiver and trigger assembly are "Assemblers and Fitters" stampings from what I've read here on the forum and reading John Henwoods great book 'The Great Remington 8 and 81'.Great informational book on both models if ya ever can get one or borrow--- full history, operation, everything about every screw and part on the two models.

According to what I've read, the 'Circled N' has nothing to do with date of manufacturer. It is the final assembler's code stamp. The N should have a full circle around it, ya can kind of see a little bit that didn't get fully stamped. Ya see this alot on all makes of firearms where the workers didn't get a full good wack with a hammer and stamp. The other ones on are "Fitters' stampings in that the receiver and trigger plate need some hand fitting before assembly, so the worker that performs this stamps his code stamp on both pieces to ID who did it. Some of the guys here on the forum who have been shooting and dealing with the 8/81 longer than I can give ya more and better info on this if they chime in or ya ask. Might even tell ya I'm all wet. :D

From what I understand, reading and deciphering assembler, fitters, and other stampings on firearms, esp those made before WW2 is a whole study in itself due to the fact that not always a strict regime was followed in plants. Alot of variance. I've heard a saying in regards to these Remington rifles as I've heard with Savage 99's "Never Say Never"! I'm a addict of German Mauser K98k's made during the Nazi/Hitler era and the manufacturer codes can follow a straight path and at the same time make ya wonder, even those made in the same plants and years, the "Never Say Never' is said about them also. Just when you think ya have them figured out, a curve ball comes down the pike.

81police has some of the dis/reassembly video's in the 'Troubleshooting/Maintenance' section of the forum at the top of that section. Also on the Home Page he has some assorted Utube video's. In the upper section you can find several excellent video's on the barrel dis/reassembly, plus a takedown video for general cleaning. Glad to help--I'll get those other's PM'd today.
Trepang

Post by Trepang »

Thanks for the info on those other marks.

In someways that 1948 repair stamp makes me feel a little better - at least I know a qualified gunsmith has been into the gun more recently than 1922 when it was new.

I just went and removed the barrel assembly from the receiver via the screw/lever under the fore-grip.

Came apart easily enough - wasn't stuck or frozen together.

The bore and rifling are a LOT better than I was anticipating considering the age. Bright, clear and rifling appears sharp. I ran a jag and a patch with a little Hoppes on it down the barrel - came out clean, cleaner than you probably see if you ran a patch through one of my newer ARs.

With the barrel assembly off, the barrel moved freely within the barrel shroud. Not loose or sloppy - felt firm, solid and tight but not too tight.

Just based on what I saw today, I am a lot more confident in loading it up and seeing how it does before I do anything else (if anything at all)