New Old Stock 81 Forearm *WOW*

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
81police

New Old Stock 81 Forearm *WOW*

Post by 81police »

You don't see this very often. A brand new, old stock, never-been-on-a-rifle Remington Model 81 forearm. With original Remington packaging!

I don't know the year of mfg, but sometime between 1940-1950.

What do y'all think? :shock: :shock:
Attachments
20201212_165112.jpg
20201212_165112.jpg (201.73 KiB) Viewed 3856 times
20201212_165130.jpg
20201212_165130.jpg (183.14 KiB) Viewed 3856 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Hardrada55

Re: New Old Stock 81 Forearm *WOW*

Post by Hardrada55 »

Definitely a Wow! Where do these things come from! I guess I really know the answer....they've been sitting in someone else's collection for years and years. But, what a neat thing to have.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

I'll 3rd the WOW! Nice find-is that something you obtained or didja get the pic from somewhere? Be worth its weight in gold to someone with a severely damaged forearm, although it might be worth more left as is. See forearms pop up on ebay and such once in a while, although used.

Items like that possibly are around due to someone ordering it and never attaching to their rifle. Case in point is when I bought a Remington 870 12 gauge around 13 years ago. It was just the stock matte finish, laminated stock/forearm with shot and slug barrels. Didn't want the high end version as my use was for tough bird and deer hunting. After having it for less than a year, the laminated forearm cracked right down the bottom/center. Called Remington and they advised new one on the way. Before it came, some friends and I were going to have a day long trap shoot, so I took some of Brownell's Acraglas and applied it in the crack and smeared a layer in the forearm channel. After drying, I sanded the channel as not to interfere with the barrel. Used it for that shoot and have been ever since. The new one Remington sent me is still in the original packaging, waiting to come to the rescue if needed or lay around for umpteen years if the Lord doesn't come and some day say 100 years from now someone will be posting a picture of it all gleeful of its finding.

Sometime back I bought some original 8/81 internal action springs and parts still enclosed in sealed Remington bags that looked older than 1950 theatre popcorn bags online from a guy. He advised his Dad, a former gunsmith/gunshop owner (from 50 and 60's era) had boxes and pails of firearm parts. He wrote that some labeled parts were still in boxes and/or bags, but alot of them he and his brother spent alot of nights going through old books, manuals, and Numrich Parts Schematics to identify them. Had sold most of the ID'ed parts, still had alot of unknowns left, figured they'd put them on eBay and sell large groups of them as unknowns for a reasonable price to get rid of them. Wish I could have been present when they first started, but would have had to travel a long long way. One way old new factory parts come about. OK-rambled enough, good find Cam!
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Very pretty. :)
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
81police

Post by 81police »

This is out of my father's collection. We are planning on selling it soon.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator