Cheek Pad for the 8

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
Bandersnatch

Cheek Pad for the 8

Post by Bandersnatch »

A little something I found to make scope use on the ole springpole more comfy. A Garand cheek pad from Midway. The leather is new and very stiff, making installation a pain. But it gets the eye in line with the scope without craning the neck.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
81police

Re: Cheek Pad for the 8

Post by 81police »

I like the non-permanent mods that can always be removed and the rifle returned to stock config if necessary. Great little addition! My dad once had the same pad on a Springfield M1A and liked it. Bet that's a comfortable shooter!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

81police wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:30 am I like the non-permanent mods that can always be removed and the rifle returned to stock config if necessary. Great little addition! My dad once had the same pad on a Springfield M1A and liked it. Bet that's a comfortable shooter!
I'll take her out this next week, whenever this Noah type flood lets up and see how it does. Range report after that, of course.
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

I am thinking about getting a cheek pad for my scoped 81. How did the Garand pad end up working for you?
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

MinnesotaDan wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:49 am I am thinking about getting a cheek pad for my scoped 81. How did the Garand pad end up working for you?
Worked quite well. Keeps the head over to the left about an inch and that makes the scope much more comfortable to use.
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

Good to know. I will get one, and try to remember to post a picture once it get it installed.

Thanks for the info. This forum is a great place to learn.
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

cheek pad.jpg
cheek pad.jpg (39.97 KiB) Viewed 7726 times
It does make it easier to use the scope. Thanks.
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

MinnesotaDan wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:48 am cheek pad.jpg

It does make it easier to use the scope. Thanks.
I'm liking the dark brown color.
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

I did notice that with the scope mount, the scope, and now the cheek pad that the 81 weighed a bit more than a trim Model 8. I took it to the range to try it out, and with the magazine full, it was a real heavyweight. A sling adds even a bit more. Felt like I was hefting a BAR.

It would be interesting to see what the absolute trimmest, lightest Model 8 out there weighs, versus an early Model 81 with the big forearm. Maybe add a Kreiger modification to add an extra screw, 25 or 30 caliber to make the barrel a bit heavier, the heaviest scope mount out there, with a really heavy scope, a heavy recoil pad, a cheek pad,the heaviest sling mounts/swivels, and a sling. (I can't think of anything else to add to make it heavier, but then again who would want to?).

Maybe I should weigh my rifle and post it's weight.
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Yes, they do weigh a tad more. Personally, for hunting purposes, I like the extra weight. It helps dampen the fairly stout recoil and, for me, it was rather comforting. The gun felt solid, not squirrely, like some light weight rifles can be (I'm looking at you, AR15), and didn't move while on the rest. Makes for a confident shot.
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

That's a good point.