Hunting in the Adirondacks

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
Maynard Shooter

Hunting in the Adirondacks

Post by Maynard Shooter »

This is my grandfather in the 1930s with his model 8 in 35 REM with the black bear he shot with it. He had a rug made out of it and my great aunt liked it so much that a couple years later he went back to the Remington Creek hunt in Wells NY and brought back a second bear for my great aunt.
Hunting with the Remington Creek Hunting Club
Hunting with the Remington Creek Hunting Club
with 35Remington Model 8.jpg (446.21 KiB) Viewed 23200 times
Thanks
Rob (new user)Below is the catalog he got with the gun.
Remington Catalog doc small.jpg
Remington Catalog doc small.jpg (131.75 KiB) Viewed 23200 times
IMG_20190224_0001 DOC Small.jpg
IMG_20190224_0001 DOC Small.jpg (167.01 KiB) Viewed 23200 times
jack1653

Re: Hunting in the Adirondacks

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Maynard,

Welcome to the forum. What a great picture!! Thank you for sharing it with us. The pictures of the catalog are very good. I haven’t seen one like this before. Imagine buying a brand new model 8 for $58.10.!!

Regards,

jack1653
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

Very cool. Love to see old hunting photos and advertisements.
81police

Post by 81police »

What a cool photo!!! That dude was heeled, an autoloading Remington and a 1911 as a sidearm! If found as equipped in modern times, he'd be in big trouble in NY! How times have changed. Thanks for sharing.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

What a great/neat picture Maynard!! Looks like it could have been one of the advert pictures Remington produced during the reign of the Model 8 and the 81. Looking at those old pictures back in the late 50's and early to mid 60's as a wee lad is the reason I have two 81's today. Always liked looking at them in issues of gun and hunting magazines during that time period. Same with Savage 99. I never got around to getting a Remington until the last several years, looking at the old advert pictures and finding this forum lite a fire and I'm doomed to 'NTA' (Need to Acquire). Did you know your Grandfather? Is the Model 8 still in the family? Be a neat thing if both questions are yes. Like 81Police, like the 1911 strapped to his side! Love the picture!!!
Maynard Shooter

My grandfather died in 1948, my father was 16. My grandmother didn't like guns so she sold it, but my father (who has passed in 2005) always talked about it being in the corner when he was little. So in 1995 I went on a search for one and acquired one in 35REM. I have inherited the Model 8 haven't taken pictures yet, it is a 1930 vintage.
Here's some more pics of their hunts. The club was called the Remington Creek Hunting club within the past ten I've learned were the Remington Creek is and hope to hike back into it this summer.
1933 wall tent.jpg
1933 wall tent.jpg (270.03 KiB) Viewed 23134 times
Thank you for this forum I get my user name from the civil war single shot that I've learned to load and shoot.
Attachments
1933.jpg
1933.jpg (324.98 KiB) Viewed 23134 times
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Both of my Grandfathers passed in 1944, four years before my birth year which was 1948. To bad the Model 8 wasn't kept. Looking at the pictures of the 'hunting camp' makes me wish I could step in a time machine and travel back and hunt as they did, in their time. No cell phones or tablets around, no political correctness crap, basic equipment only, no red dot sights, four-wheel drive pick-ups, 'gator' rigs, range finders, the latest camo pattern. Just pure huntin, plain and simple. I try to keep my hunting simple and free as I can of all the latest gadgets and free of all the latest 'have to have' modern hunting what-ever. The days of yesteryear. Enjoyed the pictures, thanks for posting. :D :D
Maynard Shooter

I managed to hike into the Remington Creak a couple of weeks ago. It's still very much like it was back then it's on state land and a private owned place to park your car with a plastic Folgers can and five dollar fee to park. There was thirty dollars in the can plus what I put in. It's a two mile hike back into the camp site and we came across a white tail doe by the creek and on our way out we were within 100 feet of a black bear with two cubs. It was really great trying to reclaim the past.
polock

Post by polock »

A big reason we love our Rem 8 & 81 rifles is nostalgia for simpler and, IMO, better times. Pics of hunting camps back in the day--esp. featuring our fav rifles--are icing on the cake!

But---My 8 in .35 Rem. is no fun to shoot from the bench!
"I have never seen a situation so desperate the arrival of a policeman did not make worse" Brendan Behan, Irish poet
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

polock wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:31 pm A big reason we love our Rem 8 & 81 rifles is nostalgia for simpler and, IMO, better times. Pics of hunting camps back in the day--esp. featuring our fav rifles--are icing on the cake!

She's got some thump, don't she?
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
polock

Post by polock »

Mr Bandersnatch---Almost a year, but I am back online. Notice you are in "lower Alabama"--I'm from east Tennessee. Spent some very enjoyable days in AL (aside from our football rivalry--Go Vols!!). Ft McClellan & Montgomery.

Have 2 other Rem autos--a M8 in .25 and 81 in .300. Really enjoy the mechanical complexity of these, and anything JMB built.

Thank u for your response; hoping you and yours are OK during this damn pandemic--NNTR

Jim (AKA Polock)
"I have never seen a situation so desperate the arrival of a policeman did not make worse" Brendan Behan, Irish poet
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

polock wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:02 pm Mr Bandersnatch---Almost a year, but I am back online. Notice you are in "lower Alabama"--I'm from east Tennessee. Spent some very enjoyable days in AL (aside from our football rivalry--Go Vols!!). Ft McClellan & Montgomery.

Have 2 other Rem autos--a M8 in .25 and 81 in .300. Really enjoy the mechanical complexity of these, and anything JMB built.

Thank u for your response; hoping you and yours are OK during this damn pandemic--NNTR

Jim (AKA Polock)
I lived in Middle Tenn many moons ago in the Tullahoma area. Beautiful country and wonderful people.

I'll be taking one of my .30 cal Model 8's to SW Alabama as my short range rifle. I love these rifles, as complex as they are and if anyone but JMB had designed them then they would never have worked. But, he did and they do. My goal over the next couple of years it to take a deer with each caliber that I own. Got a couple of deer with my .35 last time. :)
polock

Post by polock »

Good to hear from you! IIRC, there was an Air Force base near Tullahoma.
Arnold Air Force Station?? Always liked the Cumberland Plateau--cooler in summer than east TN, but prefer the mountains at home (Oak Ridge).

My first 81 was in .30 Rem. Fun to shoot, esp. compared to my 8 in .35 Rem!
I would like to take a deer (here in AZ with my .25-they are small--a different branch of whitetail called Coues deer). A big one is 85 lbs on the hoof. 117 grains in the .25 should more than fill the bill. .30 was stolen when lived in Texas.

Wishing you the best of luck this season--do u still have a buck a day limit in AL?
I'm talking late 70s--Ft McClellan.
I'm a boomer who is technically challenged. A friend transferred some info from an earlier computer to my new one years ago--but it is on my control panel as "favorites". Usually do not go thru there when using computer, so sometimes it is months (or more) before i go to this forum. I'll see if I can just add this forum to inside my computer so I can check easier. Make sense??
Take care--Jim
PS--Now live in Sierra Vista AZ for past 30 years. While the south is "home" and always will be, I am going to die and be buried in AZ! Get home at least once a year--still some family/friends, and can't get good grits west of the Mississippi River(LOL).
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Still a buck a day in AL, but limited to total of three for all combined seasons. Now, we can take a doe a day all season long!

That .25 ought to do just fine for the critters you have there.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Revisited this thread again tonight. Was interesting to read again and view the pictures. Ah---to be able to hunt with those guys back in the thirties for a couple of days!!!!
polock wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:31 pm A big reason we love our Rem 8 & 81 rifles is nostalgia for simpler and, IMO, better times. Pics of hunting camps back in the day--esp. featuring our fav rifles--are icing on the cake!

polock---Realize this is an older thread, but information is always good. Reference your Model 8 35 Remington kicking "no fun to shoot from the bench", have you ever tried a Limbsaver brand recoil pad. One of the guys here on the forum turned me onto them sometime back and they work wonders for recoil. I use them on both of my 81 300 Savage rifle's, plus M1 Garand, 03A3 and 03 Springfield's (all 30/06's), German K98k 8mm Mausers, .303 British Enfield's, and 7.62 Russian Mosin Nagant rifles. They really absorb the recoil when using full bodied ammo. Shooting cast bullets at lower fps are tolerable without the pads.

I bought two of the Limbsavers. They go on and off with little problem and beats putting a permanent pad on destroying value and looks. I use the medium size for all of the rifles I mentioned. I did buy a large and tried it on all of the rifles I mentioned, but there was a little slop, took it back and exchanged for a medium. They run $30-35 and are worth every penny. If you're interested there are two slip-on Limbsaver types. The Classic and the Air-Tec. The Air-Tec (which I have) is the better of the two, better design and rated better for recoil absorption. They even look a bit classy for an add-on, unlike the old style slip-on's. They're available from most on-line outfits and I've seen them in a number of outdoor hunting outfits, and several gunstores--not hard to get. If yer interested and try em, you won't be disappointed.
polock

Post by polock »

Thank u for the info re: limbsaver. Have used them on my milsurps--we have a monthly match limited to military rifles/pistols (or clones thereof) circa 1953 or earlier. Solved the recoil problem with my Model 8 by leaving it in the safe until my next elk hunt! Doesn't hurt if u don't shoot it---

Sorry it took so long to see your comment, but just now saw it! Need to put in for my deer tag soon, so will break out the .25 Model 8. Came with about 30 rounds of ammo when I got it many years ago, so should have enough to sight it in and take a buck if lucky enough to get a shot--