Unique model 8

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
Rack shack

Unique model 8

Post by Rack shack »

Great find here I was visiting a local gun shop a few day ago and seen this back behind the counter. I thought for sure it was on hold or layaway. So I asked and the guy said it's available an old lady came in a few hours ago and wanted the gun shop to sell her past away husbands old guns and ammo. I was all over this model 8 so we made a deal. The old ammo box has 8 rounds left in it. I could not wait to check under the butt plate and sure enough rolled up in an old rag is the original rear sight. The gun is a 30 rem. Serial number dates to November of 1907 has a marbles folding tang sight flip down rear sight and a marbles 34W front sight and some unique inlay. Should be a blast to shoot
Attachments
IMG_1994.JPG
IMG_1994.JPG (22.7 KiB) Viewed 7121 times
IMG_1993.JPG
IMG_1993.JPG (34.73 KiB) Viewed 7121 times
Hardrada55

Re: Unique model 8

Post by Hardrada55 »

Nice one... Lucky stiff....
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Rack Shack,

Welcome to the forum. That is a very nice looking Model 8. You are quite fortunate to have found an early model in such good condition. Yo find the rear sight in the stock is an extra. Thank you for sharing your pictures.

Regards,

jack1653
Rack shack

Post by Rack shack »

Yes in deed not bad for almost a 110 year old gun
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir, I love it when these model 8s and 81s just show up into our lives. Here in Iowa,we actually see very few of them in the local market place. Congrats on a good find, I don't know what you paid for it, but you have 225.00--250.00$ worth of special order sights on that rifle. Anyway, 8s and 81s are only going to get harder and harder to find in future years. Have some fun with it for sure!!
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Rack shack

Post by Rack shack »

Yes they are getting harder to find I've been lucky here in Michigan the ones I own were all from local gun shops. Just good old vintage deer hunting rifles still in excellent working condition. This model 8 was definitely someone's favorite go to hunting rifle with the custom inlay and add on sights. It defiantly found a good home were it will be used and some day passed down to my kids. For four hundred bucks and the little bit of ammo I thought was a great deal.