New addition

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
Rack shack

New addition

Post by Rack shack »

1941 300 savage with a stith mount and weaver K 2.5 scope. A classic Michigan deer hunting rifle I'll be carrying it this year. Just to bad someone added a butt pad and sling mounts at some time in her day. But still a very clean gun with great oringal blueing. A good find on the used gun rack. It's so hard passing these guns up when you come across one.
Attachments
IMG_1681.JPG
IMG_1681.JPG (48.69 KiB) Viewed 11063 times
IMG_1682.JPG
IMG_1682.JPG (42.07 KiB) Viewed 11064 times
81police

Re: New addition

Post by 81police »

That is a sweet setup! I think scoped 81's have a real classy look to them, especially with vintage scopes. How is that small objective scope in low light?
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Rack shack

Post by Rack shack »

It's not to bad the lens are still clear and crisp and focuses in and out good. Being smaller diameter it doesn't collect a lot of light but does the job.
MrEShopper

Post by MrEShopper »

What kind of scope mount do you have there?
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

That is a Stith mount.

Regards,

jack1653
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Just a thought; has anyone tested the repeat-ability of the Stith mounts after takedown? I like the concept of takedown. However most of my experience with Weaver, Redfield, and others is there is movement (too much). The only mounts that have been reliable for me is the Pachymar and the Griffin & Howe when it comes to staying sighted in after takedown.
Note: the NRA article decades ago concurs; and further recommends the Holden & Ruger mounts almost exclusively. Most of the rest have 3 points of movement; base, ring, & scope in rings. It is documented in the article 2-3 minutes of angle variation when the action is locked in a vise.
This may need to be a different thread, gimme some input.
Phyrbird
SOKY
81police

Post by 81police »

Phyrbird wrote:Just a thought; has anyone tested the repeat-ability of the Stith mounts after takedown?
I have not had any first hand experience with this. It would make for a cool video/test however!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ranman

Post by ranman »

I would like to see a video on this. I bet most would hold minute of pie plate at 100 yards.
Rack shack

Post by Rack shack »

well if I make it down to Jacks model 8/81 event we can use my gun to find out. I have thought of that also how accurate after take down and re mounting to the barrel if it was still on mark. Pretty cold here in Michigan at this time to do a good test 7 degrees out today
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

Rack shack wrote:well if I make it down to Jacks model 8/81 event we can use my gun to find out. I have thought of that also how accurate after take down and re mounting to the barrel if it was still on mark. Pretty cold here in Michigan at this time to do a good test 7 degrees out today
I would like to hear how that vintage scope handles the temperature changes as to fogging. I have always been some what leery about taking my Model 81 scoped with the same unit hunting due to this concern.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

I spoke to Weaver this year about my Dad's vintage scope and was told they can and will refill N2, recoat lenses and set together correctly most of their vintage scopes for a modest fee. The new coatings and lense fitting improves optics considerably per their info. It's an idea that could remove "fogging" and such in an original.
Phyrbird
SOKY