Thomas's Model 81

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
81police

Thomas's Model 81

Post by 81police »

Posting these for Thomas, feel free to give us the details!!
Attachments
2016061995192705.jpg
2016061995192705.jpg (186.75 KiB) Viewed 6732 times
FINAL.jpg
FINAL.jpg (374.02 KiB) Viewed 6732 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Texas by God

Re: Thomas's Model 81

Post by Texas by God »

Thank you Cam for posting these. This is my 1950 .300Savage model 81. When I got it a few months ago the stock and forend had flaking varnish and some dents and scratches. I have a buddy who is very good with gunstocks so I asked him to gently restore it. I wish I had some before pics but you can see he did well! He is a gun nut like us but unfamiliar with the 8/81s. Now he is looking for one of his own!
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Very nice that forearm is pretty.... I'm impressed. A good job...
Phyrbird
SOKY
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Thomas, that is a nice bit of work on the furniture. I am debating myself as to whether I'll be doing the same on my 1948 .300 Savage 81 or not. Might just keep the chipped and flaking original just to be different! :mrgreen:

I have a 1939 .30 Remington 81 with the early forearm. I kinda think maybe it's this gun that I should leave as-is, and gussy-up the '48 actually since the '48 is more common. I'm leaving the '45 Krieger .300 Savage stocks alone too, they're not that bad as is.

I've been holding off on ANY gun work for months, but today's the last student day - and Monday will be my first true day of summer vacation!
I tell you what, I earned my "release" this year FOR SURE! And thank God Above that I was offered a new position at a school nearby with a great community base. Makes all the difference!

Sorry to derail your thread. Oops! :roll:

I'd like to see some detail pics of your 81's roll markings and assembly marks, if you have time some day. I'm way into the fitter's marks and letters/codes on these fine old rifles - the Model 81's especially, these days!

Thanks for your photos and thanks Cam for helping out.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Texas by God

Post by Texas by God »

Thanks for the complements,gentlemen. Yes the forend has great figure that wasn't really evident before. The darker pic on the rocker is my phone pic- not so good. Adam Lee I will get those marks photographed soon and post them. Best, Thomas.
Texas by God

Post by Texas by God »

Adam Lee- I can describe the marks on my model 81 better than I can photo/post them....
On the upper left receiver extension it is stamped CWW
On the bottom of the receiver next to the forend there are two diamonds and a plus sign with circles on the left and right arms. This stamp is also on the trigger housing in front and behind of the trigger guard. That's it other than the last three numbers of the serial number on the receiver extension hidden by the forend. I hope this helps! Best, Thomas.