.30 Rem. Followed Me Home

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
Jerry_H

.30 Rem. Followed Me Home

Post by Jerry_H »

Here's a new one to me. I think I've deciphered some of it but need help from the experts. In addition to the pictures I will say the bore is quite good with a couple of dark spots that may clean up. The wood is proud of the receiver (for the most part) on the buttstock. It's marked 30 REM. on the bolt. The rear sight has been cut/bobbed to make a filler for the rear sight screws. The unmarked front sight reminds me of a Winchester because of the set screw. The tang sight is a Lyman that functions perfectly. The buttplate has been extensively notched. Maybe deer, pigs, and/or..........banditos? The four boxes of ammo in the picture are full of original ammo. Looks to me like it's been back to the factory for repairs.

Overall, a really cool old rifle I never thought I would stumble across. A few bumps and bruises to wood and metal, but nothing that's really bad.

Jerry_H
Attachments
001.JPG
001.JPG (117.97 KiB) Viewed 8359 times
002.JPG
002.JPG (132.02 KiB) Viewed 8359 times
003.JPG
003.JPG (130.96 KiB) Viewed 8359 times
Jerry_H

Re: .30 Rem. Followed Me Home

Post by Jerry_H »

More Pics
Attachments
004.JPG
004.JPG (125.87 KiB) Viewed 8358 times
005.JPG
005.JPG (102.11 KiB) Viewed 8358 times
006.JPG
006.JPG (100.82 KiB) Viewed 8358 times
Jerry_H

Post by Jerry_H »

More pics
Attachments
007.JPG
007.JPG (93.39 KiB) Viewed 8355 times
008.JPG
008.JPG (85.86 KiB) Viewed 8355 times
009.JPG
009.JPG (79.51 KiB) Viewed 8355 times
Jerry_H

Post by Jerry_H »

Two more pictures.
Attachments
011.JPG
011.JPG (96.79 KiB) Viewed 8355 times
010.JPG
010.JPG (108.5 KiB) Viewed 8355 times
Jerry_H

Post by Jerry_H »

And the final two, unless you need more with details.

Really hope I didn't overload anything posting this.

Thanks,
Jerry_H
Attachments
013.JPG
013.JPG (99.55 KiB) Viewed 8355 times
012.JPG
012.JPG (92.81 KiB) Viewed 8355 times
Jerry_H

Post by Jerry_H »

I forgot to add that the serial number stamped in the buttstock is 4100 4 (with the spaces). I can post a picture of that if need be.

Thanks,
Jerry_H
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

No you didn`t load up too many pictures ! We love Pitchers :D Handsome rifle indeed and with 4 boxes of ammo to boot. This is a good example of what makes our collecting of theses old girls interesting. I don`t know why you suspected that your rifle had been returned to the factory for repair but you are correct. The code on the barrel jacket " E Y 3 " signifies that it was made E-October, Y- 1930, and 3- factory repair. This differs from the serial # manufacture date of 1919 and also the barrel stamping would not be present unless the rifle was made in 1921 or later. The # 3 Stamped below the serial # also denotes a factory repair. The different serial # stamped on the buttstock would be of the same year as original manufacture and perhaps was replaced on the trip to the factory or at another time. I find the buttstock interesting. It appears to have been refinished as the ears are not distinct but at least they are still visible. The grain of the wood running at a diagonal rather that straight is very pleasing to the eye. Not the best as far as strength but it is good looking. The prior owner obviously was interested in how his rifle performed as well as how it looked. The factory sights have been replaced with the Lyman tang sight you mentioned and the factory rear sight when removed was replaced with a sight blank made for that purpose (Not a Cutdown) This could have been a Marbles,Lyman etc blank. The front sight is windage adjustable with the set screw pictured. This took care of the lack of that adjustment in the Lyman tang sight.
Another benefit of the close-up photos is an example of WHY if you are going to work on guns you need to invest in a good set of "Gunsmith" screwdrivers( Not that expensive). All of the screws pictured are in good shape save the one in the photo of the sight blank. You can add to the history of your rifle that someone used a hardware store screw driver and buggered it up.
Congratulations on your find and know you will enjoy shooting it. We want to see the results when you get to the range.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Jerry_H

Post by Jerry_H »

Joe,

Thanks for all the information on my rifle. I knew the 3 on the barrel and receiver meant it had been back to the factory for repairs at one time but wanted to be sure I was reading the barrel date and serial number right.

I've seen the Lyman and Marbles sight blanks but they have all had a point at both ends. That's why I think this one may be a cut down rear sight. The back edge doesn't appear to have any bluing and there are some fine file marks when viewed with a 16X jewelers loupe.

I agree that the buttstock has been refinished, but it looks like long ago. Fortunately whoever did it didn't get too happy with the sandpaper. The ears actually look better in person than in the pictures but aren't as sharp as some I've seen.

The unmolested screws are one of the things that caught my eye when the rifle came out of the case. I've seen plenty of fine old rifles that someone with a $.29 screw driver has attacked.

It may still be a couple of months before I make it to the range with this one. I'll be taking my 25-35 Model 8, 300 Savage Model 81, and 30 Rem. Model 14 at the same time. It should be a hoot! I'll post some target pictures when that happens.

Jerry_H
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Jerry,
Whoever cut down the rear sight for the blank did a good job. I meant to mention to you concerning the 4 boxes of ammo. A given that it is several decades old and has moved into collector status with the original boxes in good shape. Should you choose to shoot it I thought I`d pass on my experience with some old boxes of Remington ammo in 30 Rem that I acquired awhile back. Due I`m sure to the age the brass was a bit brittle and split the necks when fired. I ended up pulling the bullets on the rest of that box. I annealed the necks,resized and seated the original bullets and no more splits. The brass is at a premium these days so no sense wasting any.
I too plan to have a "Remington Day" at the range. Model 8`s in 30,32 and 35 and 81 in 300 Sav along with a 141 in 35 and a 14 in 32 Rem. I`ve loaded a bunch of 35 with pistol bullets and cast and want to see how they perform. Will look forward to your post of range results and will get mine up too.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."