1938 Model 81

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
p38buff

1938 Model 81

Post by p38buff »

This is the latest addition to my John M. Browning tribute collection. I love it! .35 Remington definitely let's you know who's boss with a steel butt plate! It was shooting a good 6" high 3" to the left at 50 yards so I bought a Marbles Tang and a taller HiViz front sight on Ebay.

We'll go to the range this week and zero in.

The ammo pouch is for a Yugo Mauser 8mm and so are the clips. It will hold 40 rounds. The boolits are from a Lymann 358315 204 gn RNGC.

I think the forearm has been modified since I've never seen one with the same vertical grooves but they do work well.

Gotta love that Ogden Mormon!
Attachments
Model 81 5.jpg
Model 81 5.jpg (159.91 KiB) Viewed 5112 times
Sarge756

Re: 1938 Model 81

Post by Sarge756 »

Great looking rifle. You`ve made it yours so who cares about the modification to the forend. That design was on 141`s of the day and later 740/742`s so it is not out of place. Should you want an original 81 forend though I have an extra one,reasonable. You look like you are well prepared for lots of shooting. Please share with us results of shooting the cast bullets and the load used.We've had discussions in the past about shooting cast bullets so feel sure your info will be of interest.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

A very clean looking rifle, Nice. I like the setup as a whole. I do prefer a bottom pour melter though, it's a lot faster. You do gotta watch, if the lead pours just right it will squirt back out of the mould. That's why I wear welding glove on the mould hand. One squirt of lead across the palm :o is one too many. (a painful day :oops: in the loading shop)

I really like the pouches they are Cool.. ;)
Phyrbird
SOKY
81police

Post by 81police »

Great looking springpole you got there, and I too like the HiViz front sights. They sure are an improvement over the factory bead.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator